Sunday, June 24, 2012

Don't get too attached

When I started getting into baseball 6 or 7 years ago I got really attached to all of the Red Sox players.  When some of those players started getting traded I had to learn to not get so attached.  Not that I don't love Big Papi and I miss Terry as the manager (and Youk who actually just got traded this week) but, you can't get too attached, right?

I'm finally learning to do the same thing with electronics.  I might be a little late in figuring this one out, but when you buy something that plugs in, has batteries, or a Wi-Fi connection of any kind, you better believe it's not going to last forever.  No matter how much research and preparation I do to find a good buy.

We're in the market for a new lap top (mine currently sounds like it's getting ready for lift-off at any moment), a new digital camera (this was my fault, I don't do a great job at keeping mine in it's case and the price to clean out the lens isn't really cost effective for a camera a few years old), and a new iPhone -make that 2 new phones, mine is in worse shape than Justin's (only part of the screen works most of the time) but we both need a new one and we'd like it to have that FaceTime for as much as Justin's away from the kids.  There's probably a few other items on the list, but nothing too serious.

I don't want a new computer right now... my argument is since it's only going to last 2 or 3 years anyway... why not wait until mine completely craps out.  Everything worth saving is on DropBox now (a $1900 lesson learned when our Media Drive crashed) and our external hard drive, and I really don't even use my favorites bar in the browser much since Pinterest.  So... I can wait on that one, and lessen the risk of anything happening to it while Justin is deployed.

The phone... kind of the same thing.  At least for me.  Neither one of us really needs the latest and greatest, so if my phone can limp along until the next new thing comes out... it makes the second to newest thing cheaper, and I'm fine with whatever that is.

And the camera?  Well... I need a new camera.  I'm trying to take more pictures with my actual camera instead of my iPhone and when all of the photo's come out with spots it kind of defeats of the purpose.  But, I'm not looking for the next greatest product in point and shoots this time.  (I may have found it with the one that my mom just got, anyway).  The one I'll probably get is about double the price of the repair on my current camera, but about half the price that I paid for said camera.  That's a good happy compromise, I think.  Especially since I'll probably be buying a new one in a few years anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment