Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Eternal Rewards

Mortality has its share of guessing games, but death is something I suppose we can all count on. Melanie and I have really been hit hard the past few months in that department. The latest was the passing of my great-grandma this week. She was 89 years old. I continue to love her so much. One of the last times I recall seeing her - that she remembered who I was - she told me I was "so special". The truth is it takes a very - very - special person to make anyone feel the way she made me feel. I always knew she loved me.


I continued to remind her the last few times we were together that, "I am your grandson and you are my grandma and I love you." She often cried and sometimes I think she felt sad that she could feel a remembrance but the pieces were not coming together in her head. I was told a story about her getting her hair done the other day and she said, "I'm not who I used to be."


Now she is herself again, and very happy.



I looked over her obituary and she had 5 children, 22 grandchildren, 73 great-grandchildren (surely, all special), and 17 great-great grandchildren!

The funeral is Friday and I hope to honor her by speaking as she requested.

4 comments:

  1. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you will do her great a honor by speaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always hard to lose those special grandmother's in our life. I lost mine this week as well. She looked beautiful :)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete