Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's the end of an era

First of all... today was the quickest 2 weeks I've ever had.


I went into work today fully expecting to work for the next 2 weeks. After spending most of the morning with my supervisor and my coworkers that were taking my cases, I was worried I wouldn't get everything I needed done in just 2 weeks. Then I went in to speak with my supervisor's boss.


Turns out anything I was going to get done or help out with, would be limited to my 10 hours today. Budget cuts... blah blah blah, he'll accept my resignation effective today. As in, today when you walk out of here, you'll no longer be employed here. You'll no longer have a job with the state. No longer a social worker. All of the relationships you've created during the last four years will no longer be necessary. Done. Finished. Goodbye.


Okay... so the conversation didn't quite take that turn, but it felt like that when I finally walked out that door. (I sort of forgot a few things in my office, so I'll actually go back there soon -but it'll be different then).


I spent the first half of my morning commute holding back a few tears, having just left my sleeping baby for the day. I spent the last half of my commute home holding back tears for having just left my job. A job that had become a large part of who I was over the last 4 and a half years. A job where I found some very dear friends. A job that provided me with a lot of satisfaction and validation. A job where I felt like I made a difference in people's lives.


And for what?

I guess that's a good trade.

8 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that I was shocked that they didn't let you finish out your 2 weeks...and I was not prepared to have to feel like I was saying 'goodbye.' We will all miss you, and I wish you the best in everything. And, one more thing...thanks for introducing me to the blog world! I will always appreciate you for THAT, especially!
    Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding - its the BEST trade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a shock to all of us! You will be greatly missed! But you've moved on to a bigger and better calling a job in life...being a mother. He is one lucky little boy to have you as his mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good trade!! No doubt you will be very missed by us friends at DCFS, along with your "kids" and families I am sure. But the good news is you get to be a mom and should still be validated and appreciated! Plus, I will still see you sometimes so that's all I care about :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for such an abrupt end to a long way of life. That is hard. I don't care how great the trade off is it's still hard to handle that kind of (in a way) rejection especially when you are still dealing with hormones. I looks like you have made some great friends at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The BEST trade. He is getting so big! You still have those friends, remember? We go to lunch? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you! I'll still invite you to certain clients visits... We can't see a musical without you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a shocker. I hope they still paid you out your sick/vacation time? Anyway, that was a chapter in your life that is closed now. The new chapter will be so much more rewarding yet it will be the most difficult job you've ever had. I'm sure you've already figured that out but you just wait...it gets better:)

    ReplyDelete