Monday, May 23, 2011

The one about the wedding

My sister, Jodi, got married this weekend. (May 20th, to be precise). I figured my parents had 4 kids in 8 years... and married them all off in a little over 4 years. I'm not sure why I was figuring that.

The day threatened to be rainy and windy, and although it did both, it wasn't too bad. I thought it was a fairly low-key event, no big reception, just the ceremony at 3 pm (more to come on that
later) and a dinner at 7 pm. My sister and mom were told by her photographer and the event planner at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building that there was no way they would be ready to eat
at 6. There was, so we had extra time to entertain small children, but everything ended up
working out.
I barely managed to get a shot of the couple as they left the temple, and a few shots of my kids. I should have handed my camera over to someone who wasn't trying to entertain two kids, but hopefully I can steal a few shots from the professional. My cousin, Annie, who is pretty dang close to a professional, did get some good shots as well.

Because this is MY blog, and not my sisters, I'll add our little drama before the sealing.

Big Matt (my brother) and Jenny (his wife) came to our house to watch the kids. We figured a few extra minutes of Hyrum's nap could only be useful later in the evening. I had it in my head all week that we needed to be at the temple at 3:00 and the ceremony started at 3:30. So we took our time leaving the house. and, when Justin got a phone call from work as we were walking in, I thought we had PLENTY of time, so he took it (what a mistake that turned out to be). I even watched a friend of hers run into to temple, all out of breath, thinking she was going to be too late, and I thought -why is she in such a rush, we have 10 minutes before we should even be in the waiting room.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Justin finally got off the phone, and since this is a private blog now, I'll share part of that story as well. The short version is, he was offered a new job (within his current company) that came with a promotion, raise, travel, managing employees -everything he has been looking for AND it was remote, which meant he would still work from home most of the time. The official offer came 3 hours before the sealing, and he accepted.

The phone call was to take back the offer. ????? I know, we're a little confused. It could be worse, because he already had received a more modest salary increase and promotion in his current
position, but that only slightly lessened the blow.

Back to the temple, I hand them my temple recommend no problem. Justin hands the wor
ker his, problem. Our Stake office didn't enter in his new recommend into the computer. I left Justin at the front desk as they tried desperately to reach our Stake President. Still not thinking we were late, I just wanted to visit with my family before. I get to the waiting room -and no one was there. I seriously thought -weird, I wasn't thinking we'd be the first ones there. I sat there for a minute or two, and finally went and asked the temple worker. That's when I found out I was very late, so I ran up to the second floor, and rushed in the room. Without Justin. They were waiting for us, so they hadn't brought Jodi and Trevor in, and I figured Justin would be right
behind me.

Jodi and Trevor finally came in, still no Justin. He did finally sneak in after the sealer had begun speaking, but made it for the important part. And, because I had the time wrong, Matt and Jenny missed the temple pictures, which I feel bad about. And, my kids, but oh well. We did get a few before the dinner.

I think everything turned out just as she had hoped. It was a really nice dinner with a lot of cute little details that she worked really hard on. The cutest one was the photo booth, with Annie taking funny shots of everyone (instead of signing a guest book) as they came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment