Thursday, June 23, 2011

Single Mom

I've been a single mom for a few days here and there, I think for a full week once or twice. This time Justin is gone for 8 days, come's home for about 36 hours and then leaves for another 5 days. I suppose it's just practice. There will be a few more week long absences (probably more than we were originally planning on) this year, and a full two weeks in August.

Between his actual job (the one that pays the mortgage and provides insurance -that's how I distinguish between the jobs) and the Navy, he's gone a lot this summer.

I've made a few observations.

It is not natural to be a single parent. I guess somebody knew what they were talking about when it was designed for us to come down here to two parents and live in a family.

I HATE going to the grocery store with two kids.

It's important to get out of the house every day. Sometimes twice. Sometimes more than that.

It's a pain leaving the house with two kids.

Those women and families that have career military husbands have my admiration, sympathy, and condolences. (I just finished a great book called "You know when the men are gone" by Siobhan Fallon which was an amazing look into their lives, if any of you are interested).

I may have picked a bad time to let Kate 'cry it out'. She learned how to roll over, so I don't think I should swaddle her anymore when she goes down. She's struggling.

I'm amazed at how easy this week as been in many aspects.

I fell off the wagon with my diet. Pretty hard. Even harder because there's no one else at home who notices. Hyrum really hasn't complained about the cookies.

I'd like to go on vacation. Where's my HR/transportation department where I put in MY travel arrangements? One day at girls camp isn't going to cut it.

1 comment: