Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

I guess it's not surprising that these kind of holidays (like Veterens Day) have taken on a different meaning to me since Justin joined the Navy. It's been almost a year since we found out his application was accepted and about 7 months or so since he was commissioned as an officer in the Navy Reserves.

As far as impacting our family life, it's only cost as a few weekends and one full week without our dad and husband. His first full two weeks is later next month. Justin missed Kate rolling over for the first time (although it was Monday night, so he would have been teaching even if he had been in town), but it did get me thinking of the things he'll miss when he is deployed.

I have obviously become very aware of the men and women who are full time military, at any part of their life. What they've sacrificed to serve their country, and especially what their families have had to sacrifice. I won't lie, I was not and am still not overly excited about the prospect of deployment, but I do take some comfort in the fact that Justin's position will most likely never take him close to any war front or even close to it.

The other day in church someone was bearing their testimony (I honestly don't remember who) and they used the phrase, "this country that God gave us". I don't want to diminish the fact that we are living in a land that I DO believe was set aside by our Heavenly Father to be a nation that would afford it's citizens certain freedoms. Many of which made the restoration of the Gospel a possibility. But I think it's equally important to remember that it didn't come to 'us' without a fight. And at great cost to many generations and families.

I don't claim any special privilege because my husband is in the reserves, (except for maybe the occasional chance to purchase groceries without sales tax or get 10% off at some restaurants and stores). I'm fully aware that we have yet to sacrifice much for our country, but it's coming. I think that's why I had such a hard time these two weeks Justin's been out of time, because I could only think of the time he'll be away from our family for deployments over the next few (or twenty) years.

So, to all of those that have sacrificed and will continue to sacrifice for the defense of our freedoms and those that come to the aid of others who cannot defend themselves, thank you. And thanks to your families that have had to learn to say goodbye to loved ones time and time again.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the Navy stuff. Molly and I have survived 2 sets of 2 week-ers (albeit that's only 1 child and not 2). I'm sure it will go by in a flash and you'll be fine!

    Also, your kids are cute!!

    ReplyDelete