Friday, May 25, 2012

New York Day 4

We had a great trip to New York, and even though my feet and back hurt pretty much the entire time, I was sort of sad for it to come to an end.  But... I was missing my kids and I was really looking forward to soak in the tub when I got home too, so I think we timed it right.

That morning we got packed up and left our suitcases with the front desk and headed to Brooklyn.  We kind of changed our original plans and Jessica was still able to find us a fun, local place to eat.  We went to Milk Bar, another quirky, pretty local and mostly organic and healthy-ish place.  I had never been to Brooklyn, and it was very different from the city.  It was also a Sunday, so I'm sure it looks different during the week, but there were a ton of kids and strollers and families out.  It was a nice change.  We even got a bit of sun, since we weren't surrounded by the tall buildings the entire time.




We went to the Brooklyn Park, took pictures, watched people for a few minutes and then walked up the Brooklyn Bridge.  We had planned to walk across it, or bike across it, but we realized we wanted to eat lunch on the Brooklyn side, and didn't have a ton of time, so we walked up a bit, took more pictures, and walked back.

Lunch was at Grimaldi's, the original.  I guess there is some debate on whether or not it's the original (owner disputes and a fire at the original site) but it was close enough.  Gordon wasn't sure he wanted to wait, I think we were just a little worried about getting back to the city, back to our hotel and to the airport on time.  But, the wait ended up only being about 45 minutes for a table and they were really quick once we were there.  The pizza was delicious, much better than Lombardi's.  It was worth the wait (especially since we ended up making our flight).

After lunch we headed back to city, caught a bus back to our hotel in Jersey and waited for a cab.  We amazingly were down to our last $40 or $50 dollars between what Gordon and I had brought (it amazes me how many places only take cash, but I guess you just get used to it if you live in New York, you always need cash -and a lot of it).  We requested a cab that would take a card.  A guy showed up in a town car (fancy) but forgot he needed gas.  So we had to stop with him and then when we got to the airport he said he only took cash.  We were pretty annoyed and Justin had to run in the airport in search for an ATM.  The guy was finally paid and we were on our way.

The flight home was direct and even got in 20 minutes early.  I was kind of sad because the kids were staying at Lisa's house, but we got to see them first thing the next morning.  I got the best smile from Kate and you could tell both kids were glad to have us home.


No comments:

Post a Comment