Saturday, May 10, 2014

Cakes, cakes, and not cakes

I see all sorts of delicious desserts online and save the recipes and never have the chance to make them.  (Or take the chance).  So... this year for my family's birthday's its the year of no-cake birthday cakes.

In January we had what will be forever the brownie I make from now on.  It was the best brownie I'd ever had in my life.  (mybestbites.com).  Along with homemade strawberry sauce and vanilla ice cream.


March for Gordon, Trevor's and my birthday I channelled my inner 50's housewife and made a ice cream roll up cake.  Not as hard as I thought it was going to be.


April for my mom's (and sort of Matt's) I wanted to try a cheesecake, with my new springform pans I got for my birthday (thanks, Jen and Matt!).  I didn't have any of it, but it looked amazing and everyone that did have some said it was good.

Just because of no cakes for birthdays, I still got to try a couple new ones for the annual Young Womens Cake auction.  I can never decide on just one, so I found a Caramel Apple cake with homemade applesauce (something I had never done) and caramel buttercream.  It turned out okay except for the caramel was too runny (I'm not very good at caramel) and the buttercream recipe might be my new go-to one for real buttercream.








The second one was a chocolate s'more cake with graham cracker bottoms.  This one was delicious!  (I made it for Justin a week later).  It had browned butter graham cracker crust in between the layers, which was probably the best part.  I was pretty disappointed in my first attempt at torching the meringue, and only slightly more happy with the second try.  I'm not sure what I'd try next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment