Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Running

My sister in law Jessica is in charge (or least one of the ones in charge) of a 5k every year for Davis County Health Department.  I'm pretty sure we've been there every year she's done it, even if I didn't run a time or two (I'll blame it on pregnancies).  The kids get to run a Mud Run too, which seems to get muddier each year too.  This year I'm pretty sure Milo could have easily drowned in some parts.  If he had stuck around long enough, which he didn't.


First, the adults.  Justin did the run as well, although you'll have to take my word for it, because no one managed to get a photo of it.  Serves you right for coming in first (out of the 5 family members).  Last year I ran a lot faster than I expected to (31 min and some seconds) and just hoped that I could come in close to the same time or a minute earlier, since I had more practice running outside this past year.

I started my app that tracks my pace and distance, then my music app with my playlist that keeps me on pace, and then my heart rate monitor.  Yep, all of that.  And then I started running.  Justin, Wade, and Gordon all passed me, along with a lot of other people.  And I assumed I wasn't doing too hot, but I kept running at my pace.  On the way back (its a run to the half way mark and then start running back) I really was tired.  And I wanted to walk.  Just for a minute.  But I didn't.  I kept going and wondering why I wanted to stop running.  When I run outside, which is once a week or so, I've been doing 3-4 miles and even made it to 6 miles a couple weeks ago (That's the furthest I've ever made it before).

Then I crossed the finished line and looked at my phone and figured out I had run it in under 30 minutes. 26:46 to be exact. Which sort of explains why I was so tired.  And, I guess I'll have to up my game this year, because I'm not sure I can beat that time, but it'll be interesting to see if I can.  And if I'll have any feeling left in my hips, knees and now ankles.  The ankle pain while running has been a more recent development.  Yay.

I took no pictures of the kids this year. I didn't have my case and Justin didn't want to risk his phone either, so here's a recap.  Hryum was the youngest in his age group this year, but still did a great job.  He tried really hard to not get his face splashed with mud, so it made for funny expressions.  Justin drew the short straw and held Kate and Milo's hand during their race.  Until Milo had enough and got handed over to me to save him from the muddy water and large group of kids.  Many of them also crying in that age group.  Kate did better than last year, and didn't yell that her feet were getting dirty the entire time.  And they all go clappers.  Plastic clappers that were in stereo on the entire ride back home.

Thanks, Jess!  See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment