Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Caucusing

First of all, I never realized that caucusing was a word.  Second, although I feel like I've supported the system by supporting Justin to attend (and I've never missed a general election or most primary elections in the last 10+ years) I have certainly never attended anything like I did this evening.

It. Was. Awesome!  It was awesome to see so many people taking time out of their lives to vote.  It was awesome to see so many democrats in one place.  It was awesome to see so many people waiting in line longer than any Disneyland ride I've ever seen, and they didn't even get an 'I voted' sticker.  It's been awesome to see so many friends post similar posts on social media.  It's just awesome.

I was also lucky enough to not have to take the kids with me.  I've taken them voting before and made sure they knew what I was doing and afterwards who I voted for, but I'm glad that I found a sitter.  I hope that Justin's and my enthusiasm over the process and the idea that it's important to be involved and have your voice heard will spill over to our children.

I'm usually one of the more cynical and pessimistic people around, but this process invigorates me and actually gives me hope for a future that for a majority of Americans will be better than it was for the previous generation.

I read a quote earlier in the week by David Foster Wallace (an American author) that said: "In reality, there is no such thing as not voting: You either vote by voting, or you vote by staying home and tacitly doubling the value of some diehard's vote".  I've never really agreed with the 'head in the sand' mentality of politics or our voting responsibility.  There isn't a perfect candidate for any office for any person, but you have an obligation (in my humble opinion) to make a choice.  In life there really isn't any fence sitters.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. I couldn't "caucus" because of soccer, but I've been trying to educate my students about it. That counts for something, right?

    ReplyDelete