Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Heffalumps and woozles



Okay, to be honest, there were no woozles. But, my dreams were full of elephants last night.


To be more specific, baby blue stuffed animal elephants with a music box inside them.

Kind of like this one.



Actually, EXACTLY like this one. We have one. We had two, but we accidentally (subconsiously) left one on the airplane on Sunday. Oops.

My son has decided he likes these elephants (thanks Mimi and Kathy). They've been great. In the last 4 or 6 weeks it has got him to sleep and comforted when he's out of his 'norm'. Or, even in his norm, really.

The problem? (Other than now we're down one elephant). It STINKS! The little man shoves (and I mean shoves) either the trunk or one of the ears in his mouth to fall asleep. I was washing them by hand (it has a music box so it says you can't wash them in the machine). But in the last 2 or 3 weeks, that hasn't been helping the smell. My guess is that when his mouth is full of milk at night, and then he sucks on it the milk gets all over. And the stink. I actually risked all to stick them in the machine (it survived) but the stink is back within half a day.

His cousin has a pink one of these that she affectionately refers to as "Elly". Justin and I have started calling the Little Man's 'Smelly'. It's really that bad.

So, what's a mom to do? Buy another one (or three). Here lies the second problem. After a bit of research, said elephant was made by Carters, exclusively for Target, the Just One Year brand. And guess what? They've discontinued our little elephants.

Oh, I've found a few on Ebay. The cheapest one is $24 (going up to $50 -seriously?). If I thought I could get away with one, I might consider buying it. But, I need at least 2. And I just can't spend fifty bucks for a couple of stuffed animals.

I've found one that is similar (I think) by the Russ brand, and they're pretty cheap. So, I'm just hoping that he's still young enough to not be completely attached to this particular elephant and we can do a switch-a-roo without the Little Man noticing too much.

I hope this one works (I bought 3) or else I think I'll be destined to continue to dream about little blue elephants.

4 comments:

  1. Mel-
    We had the same problem with Hannah when she was a baby. We bought her a little stuffed baby from target. She liked it so much and needed it to sleep with. She would suck on the hat and rub it's feet. So we bought three more. She hated the other babies. She only wanted her original stinky baby. She finally gave it up for a newer nicer smelling baby a few years ago. She is 6!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we love our particular little people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved elephants and used to collect them for many years. Maybe I can pass some of my stuffed ones on to your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the joys of motherhood! Just wait til he wants a superman action figure when superman is not the in thing...or a bald baby doll...right Kathy??? :)

    ReplyDelete