Monday, March 22, 2010

Agree to disagree

There's a political saga unfolding today, with opinions ranging from extreme to downright idiotic (on both sides of the issue).

I'm not going to discuss the issue here.

I've just been thinking how different people can be on really core, basic issues. That's what makes these type of issues so debated and personal I suppose.

For whatever reason, even though I've lived most of life in the beautiful and somewhat, culturally homogeneous, state of Utah, I don't normally find myself agreeing with most of my family and neighbors on these key issues. And I even subscribe to the predominant religion.

I could blame the years I spent serving and working with a forgotten and underprivileged population, but I was like this in college too. I guess I could find specific experiences or influences (like those who "voted for Gore" -which is an inside joke with someone who doesn't even read this blog) that may have helped me feel this way about social issues, but it is what it is.

I have to agree to disagree with most of the people around me, most of the time, and on most issues.

There are times where I try and explain my point of view, but it's frustrating and shocking even, to hear those with the same values and beliefs have such a different solution for today's problems. This isn't a political blog, and I normally don't share my opinions on current events, but I did just want to say this much -mostly for children.

(I write this for fun, to share our lives with those would like a peek, but mostly as a record or a journal of our family's comings and goings).

We're lucky people. I was raised by parents who educated themselves and where school and hard work was valued and encouraged. Sometimes I look into the face of the Little Man and am overwhelmed at how lucky he is. He has parents who provides for his basic needs, and are trying to prepare for his future.

We are not born equal. Not even close.

If that were the case, then I would have to agree that everyone should have the same expectations and provide for their own needs, period. No 'handouts', no government programs, nothing but hard work, sacrifice, and determination.

But, because we do not each start out with the same opportunities I think it is our moral and ethical obligation to help those who cannot help themselves. We live in a community, big and small, and will each benefit if our community works together for the greater good.

I guess I'll continue to agree to disagree with the best way to accomplish that goal.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you talk and describe things... must be why I like you so much :)

    Course, we probably agree on most issues like this! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, cousin. you've generally got two more girls on the family speaking your language as well. You could always come to Sunday dinner with us for a change. Then you'd only be disagreeing with Ross. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there were more of us out there...who prescribe to the predominant religion, but not the politics usually associated with such....

    I have to agree to disagree with my family most of the time too...when it comes to politics.

    ReplyDelete