Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Year End Review -it's tradition

This post takes forever to do... ever since blogger changed the way pictures are uploaded and move around, but I like having it here, I actually refer to it at other times. Just so I remember what has happened and when.

January was our first (mini) vacation of the year. What is becoming a fun tradition (we're headed back up a month from now) snowmobiling with the Hardcastle's.

February was an awesome trip to Hawaii with the Goughs -Justin's family. Despite a few set backs (a trip to the emergency room for the Little Man on the first night, and a miscarriage a couple of days later) we had a great time. I had never been to Hawaii, and we enjoyed all of the sights and things to do on Maui. Plus, we loved spending time with family.

March started out with one of many trips to the zoo. We bought a family pass, so we were able to get there a lot this last year. The Little Man loves the animals. I also turned 30... it wasn't too bad.

In April Justin's brother, Bryan, came home from his mission. I learned how dependent I am on cell phones, because mine wasn't working the night we went to the airport. I forgot how the Salt Lake airport worked and ended up missing the actual arrival, nut we eventually found everyone. We also found out we were expecting Little Miss.

May kicked off our camping season... and continued the Little Man's ability to harm himself. We went camping over Memorial Day with the Lafeens and he fell out of their trailer. At least this one didn't require stitches.

June... gardens, trips to Wheeler Farm, Utah State, and swimming lessons.

More camping in July. We froze with the Goughs when we went on the 4th of July... and nearly died from the heat with the Lafeen's during the family reunion. Maybe that was just the pregnant lady though. The good news? No trip so to the doctors.

Matt and Jenny also got married. It was a beautiful ceremony and reception in Huntsville.

August 1st we broke our streak, and the Little Man ended up in the hospital again. This time with a stomach bug that he couldn't shake and he got too dehydrated from throwing up. We were there about 24 hours... and it took at least a week or two to recover. In the mean time, both Justin and I got sick too. It's no fun throwing up with the stomach bug while pregnant -as if there is a GOOD time for that to happen.

Later in the month we had girls camp. I had to take the Little Man with me one evening... and guess what? About 10 minutes before we were going to leave, he fell back from a picnic table, and we were on our way to instacare. This time it was staples. Pretty gruesome to look at, but much easier to get done.

September was our annual trip to Swiss Days and Park City. Once again I was very pregnant, but I hung in there. Even during all of the shopping hours.

October brought harvesting our garden, another trip to Utah State, and Halloween. Justin had a great time carving pumpkins, and the Little Man got to wear his Super Why costume more than enough times.

We had house guests in November, when Justin's dad got evacuated from their home for a night due to a fire near his house. The Little Man turned 2 and Justin turned the big 3-0.

And, our Little Miss arrived in December. As far as labor and delivery's go, it was pretty smooth sailing -considering the options. She was healthy and beautiful, and was welcomed gladly by her parents and brother. Not to mention a lot of extended family who were all just too excited she was a little girl. Despite some time spent on lights for jaundice, she's been a great baby. A good eater and a good sleeper, everything a mom could ask for.



Bryan and Haley were married this month. I made it to the temple ceremony, but the Little Miss and I missed everything else. That's what happens when you have an 6 day old I suppose.


We lost my grandpa unexpectedly right before Christmas. I was blessed to be able to say goodbye and be with him when he died in the hospital. It's never easy to say goodbye to loved ones, and my heart aches for my grandma who has spent the last 55 years with her husband and now must learn to be on her own, but he's in a better place. Reunited with his daughter, parents, and countless others. I know he's continuing his work unhindered by the limitations his body and age imposed on him in the last few years.
And on Wednesday our family's life changed in ways that I don't think Justin and I can comprehend right now. Justin accepted his commission in the navy, and will begin his training as an Navy Reserve Supply Corps Officer. I don't expect a lot of things to change in the very near future, and we'll just have to see what the future will bring for Justin and our family.

It always amazes me what can happen in a year!

2 comments:

  1. You did have an eventful year! I'm sorry about your grandpa. I was there when my grandma died 4 years ago, and it's one of the most meaningful events in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was touched by your blog. Life is good and being able to remember the joys and the sadness & being grateful for both just adds to the blessings.

    ReplyDelete