Wednesday, October 3, 2012

This day in history

11 years ago, on a Wednesday even, I entered the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Provo. I realized last night the today was the 3rd, and since it was also a Wednesday I think it made me think of that day even more. 

I had been set apart to serve as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the New Zealand Wellington Mission the night before. I was excited and nervous, but mostly excited. I knew the work and the message I was about to participate in was true, and I still do. I was excited and nervous, but mostly excited to (soon) travel half way around the world to the island country of New Zealand. I didn't know what to expect, but I knew I'd love it. I truely left a small piece of my heart there, and with the people I served and served with. 

The MTC was a great experience, over-all. I was glad I was only there 3 weeks, but I jumped right in to the routine and the spiritual experience. I loved our three instructors and the elders and sisters in our class (district). The elders were awfully young (an observation I would make many times over during the course of serving) but I was blessed to see glimpses of the men they were becoming and more importantly, the priesthood they held and (mostly) honored. 

I knew I was where the Lord wanted and needed me at the time that I was supposed to be there. I was convinced I would be able to reach, if only a few, people that other people would not be able too. I had at least a handful of experiences during the next 18 months where I saw that. I loved all of my companions, some more than others, and each for different reasons. And even 10 or 11 years later, I loved one of them when she left (for good, not when she'd just leave me by myself the half dozen or so times she left me on my own while we were companions). 

There is still hardly a day that goes by where I don't think about someone I met while serving. I grew a lot (in more ways than one) from where I was and who I was 11 years ago. Probably the only thing it compares to is motherhood, as far as the most amount of experiences in a short amount of time, and how much you change as a person. 

There are not a lot of things I would change or do differently in my life. Maybe be a little kinder, there are a few things I've said or done to people I'd take back, and maybe a few pounds I wish I hadn't indulged in, but being a missionary is definitely not on that list. I'm grateful that was what the Lord had in store for me at that time in my life. Just as I'm grateful, if not a bit exhausted, that being a wife and mother is what I'm supposed to be doing at this time in my life. 

Now, if  you'll excuse me, my baby's asleep which means there's a good chance I'll be able to get some sleep for a couple hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment