Saturday, April 20, 2013

Little Papi

I don't comment much on current events (besides one or two political posts a year).  I haven't mentioned any of the recent mass shootings or my feelings about the state of our country and world.  It's too overwhelming  most of the time.  When parents lose their children and children lose their parents it's just too much for my everyday life.  My life is full of naptimes, and going potty, and preschool and t-ball commuting, and going to the bank and skyping with Justin.  Not much more than that.  I don't necessarily agree with the 'head in the sand' outlook on life, but when it comes to feeling safe and happy with me and my kids, that is the approach I sometimes take.  

I had the news on every evening and afternoon during naps, kept up to date via the internet with the events in Boston this week, and I felt a strange connection to it.  I couldn't tell you why.  I've run a few 5K's -never came close to a marathon.  I've visited the city of Boston once, and although I loved being there and the history, I haven't made it back yet.  And, I'm a pretty loyal Red Sox fan.  Somewhere in there, I felt a small connection to the explosions and shootings.  

Because we're Sox fans around here, somebody -me or the kids (or both) were wearing our Boston gear this week, which I was proud of.  (To be honest, it's not very often that we go more than a day or two without wearing BoSox gear around here on a regular basis).  Hyrum asked me while driving to tball the other night why the American flags were only half-way up, and I tried to explain it to him.  We've included the people of Boston in our prayers this week.  

To add to this weeks slight melancholy feeling, we had a death in the family.  Jake, our Beta, died on Wednesday.  I debated for a moment on what to do (quickly replace or tell the kids) but I told the kids that he died. I worried a little about Hyrum's reaction, the kid is sometimes a little overly sensitive, but he's also resilient!  He said, "Oh... it's okay.  Maybe we can get a new pet this time.  Like a dog".  



I decided to replace the family pet and thought I'd convince the kids to pick a red or a blue one and we'd come up with a Boston or Red Sox type name for him.  

Meet Little Papi 







Red AND blue and named after Big Papi.  He gave a GREAT (but slightly profane speech) at today's Red Sox game.  You can find it yourself if you'd like to.  


No comments:

Post a Comment