Saturday, September 21, 2013

Social Experiment

I'll be the first to admit I'm addicted to my cell phone (iPhone).  It is very rarely more than a few feet from me, if not in my back pocket.  Like most of us now days I use it for everything.  All of my contacts and schedule is on there, social media outlets, I use it to Google strange and peculiar things that pop into my head during the day, and a camera that is always easy to get to.  We don't have a land line, so it's my only way to communicate with the outside world.  It's most often how I start and end my day, and spend a good deal of time on it during the day as well.  

So... yesterday morning I had my phone in my back pocket as usual and was getting the kids ready to take Hyrum to school (have I mentioned how I hate afternoon preschool?)  I blame the fact that I had on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn for sometime now, and are still a little too snug for public use (I was just seeing if they fit yet and planned to wear them around the house that morning).  I went to the bathroom -can you see where this is going?  In goes my phone.  My heart sunk when I heard the noise.  I've had a cell phone since I went to college in 1998, and I have never had one with any water damage.  Until yesterday.

I retrieved the submerged phone lightening fast and dried it off.  I've heard of the phone in a rice bag (just what it sounds like) and immediately submerged it again, this time in a zip lock full of rice.  I got online (on my computer) to make sure I did the right thing, and I think I did.  It'll sit there until at least Sunday.

Can I tell you how many times I've reached for or tried to look for my phone in the last 18 hours?  It's starting to drive me crazy!  I was reading a book on there, I play a couple of word games with 2 or 3 friends that I can't get to, it was Milo's first birthday and I couldn't take any photo's or get on instagram to see what other people are taking pictures of, I have no idea what time it is, ever.  I think it's safe to say I am (was) far too addicted to having a smartphone at my finger tips.

I'm at my parents for the night (a planned over-nighter because we came up for a mini birthday party for Milo) and actually just went a bought a throw away (pay as you go) phone for any just-in-cases when I'm back home.  It's a flip phone, with no bells and whistles.  I can't even remember how many years it's been since I had a similar one.    So... I've got another day or two with no phone and I'd like to say I'll learn something.  And hopefully I'll get a bit more done during the day, but I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to getting my phone (or a new one, gulp) back and running.  I'm dying to know what time it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment