Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What gives?

My old job was pretty stressful. I know there are jobs that were worse than mine, but a state caseworker has a lot on their plate.


For any given month I had between 14 and 17 kids. You had to manage (juggle) your time between home visits, school meetings, court hearings, family visits, staff meetings and trainings and the all-too often crisis that your kids and families seem to go through on a regular basis. And... then you have to do the whole thing again the next month.


On top of 'work', I also had a life of my own. I went to the gym 5-6 times a week sometime between 5 and 6 am. I had friends. I had a family, the last two years I had a husband. It was a hard balance to strike between work and your own life, because, at the end of the day, you were responsible for a child's life and their family unit. It didn't always end at 6 o'clock.


But, I managed. With relatively few breakdowns at work or at home.


Today?


I'm not handling my time well I guess. I can handle one or two things a day -apart from the 'hang out at home' time. More than that and I seem to have a meltdown. Or, at least a mini meltdown.


I guess it could still be the lack of good sleep. Or... maybe my hormones are still a little unstable. Maybe I'm having a hard time adjusting to life as a stay-at-home mom -even though the thought of going back to work makes me sick to my stomach.


I had a million things going on at once, which, at least at first, all seemed to need my attention. Now, the one little man that actually NEEDS my attention is taking all of my time and energy to keep up with.


He is pretty cute, though!

6 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Mel, he's so stinking cute! At the next girls lunch - I may steal him and not give him back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are doing a great job and have you noticed you are the only one thinking those things. No on is judging you, so stop being so hard on yourself and enjoy. and he isn't just pretty cute, he's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw the book you are reading. It's a great book. I totally recommend the crying it out method. It is VERY hard, but well worth it in the end...but you can't do it until YOU are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Sox cap on your cute little buddy!

    ReplyDelete