Monday, June 15, 2009

Proud by choice

The other day I saw a bumper sticker that has stuck with me. It said:
Gay by nature
Proud by choice.

Now, I don't mean to make this a political/religious discussion (for the record, I have a hard time believing anyone would 'choose' such a difficult life, at least in the traditional sense of the word. I sometimes kid myself and think it's not a 'choice' that I struggle with my weight, but at the end of the day, it's my choices that have got me here. Even if I feel it might be easier for some people to be skinny without as much effort as it would take me.)

Anyway...

It just made me think about the choices we have in our attitude regardless of situations in our life that happen beyond our control.

You can just be a stay-at-home-mom, or you can be happy that you get to stay home with your kids.

You can be burdened with a mortgage/rent, or you are lucky to have a safe place to sleep at night.

You can be tired/burned out because you have a lot of young, needy children, or you can be blessed because you were able to have children.

You can dislike your job, people you work with, or the hours, or you can be grateful to have a job.

You can dislike your body type and the extra weight that seems to be hanging around, or... or... I guess you can be glad that you have a working body that can handle most things I need/want to do.

Just something I've been thinking about for a few days.

3 comments: