Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Public Health

This is not a commentary on the political agenda that is sweeping the country right now. Well, not really.

After much research and contemplation (not to mention changing my mind at least two dozen times) I decided that the Little Man and I were going to get the H1N1 vaccine.

(Don't judge me, and I won't judge you for your decision on the matter)

In order for both of us to get it we had to go out of Salt Lake County (I'll spare you the details) and went to Davis county since my sister-in-law works for them and it was easy to get information.

I knew there would be a line, but this was incredible! Since it was a weekday and raining I was hoping that would deter some people. It may have deterred a few, but not many. According to a few of the employee's there were people there as early as 5 am (it was scheduled to start at 10). We got there around 9:15 and my brother, Big Matt, showed up a few minutes later. We were out of there a little after 11 am, so it could have been a lot worse. They were quite efficient and tried their best to move the line as fast as possible -good job Jessica!

Here's just a couple of my observations about those in line.

*It rained last night. Up in Davis county I heard it rained ALL night. It's cold and windy. I know for a fact that it was cold, windy, rainy, and dreary when everyone left their houses that morning. So explain to me how and why people showed up in t-shirts without jackets or umbrella's. And worse than that, their children were also wearing light jackets at best -no blankets or anything else to keep them warm and dry. It won't do you a whole lot if you give your kids a cold or worse while waiting in line for a vaccine.

*Please don't argue with those trying to help you. I saw a few parents yelling at the county professionals trying to get an accurate count of those in line that were eligible for the vaccine. Wouldn't you LIKE to know if all of your waiting is going to result in actually getting a vaccine?

*Please keep an eye on your children! I'm trying to not judge here. I know that I am going to be the mother of an EXTREMELY hyper toddler. I'm worried that in large groups and crowded places I may be forced to put a leash on my child. (Don't judge me, and I won't judge you for your decision on the matter) However, if you've lost your child 3 or 4 times already, maybe it's time that your force said child to hold your hand.

That's all really. I feel okay that we've been vaccinated and all in all it wasn't too bad of an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment