Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Not for the faint of heart

I'm sure I'll do a play by play of our vacation soon enough, but there's a few of you (family and facebook friends) who might want to see a few pictures of our adventure thus far.
Right after we got to the (awesome) condo and had a quick dinner The Little Man was running around -happy to be out of the airplane, I'm sure.

He ran out to the balcony, tripped and ended up diving head first into a little step where the railing sits.
I was just behind him, saw the whole thing, along with his papa, Dave. Dave picked him up first, and I saw the mark go dark red, and then start GUSHING blood. (No exaggeration).

I hurried him into the kitchen and we tried to grab something to stop the bleeding and survey the damage. I knew that head wounds bleed like crazy, and was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seemed (I guess the fact that the two of us were literally covered in blood should have been a clue). When we pulled the rag away I knew we were heading to the hospital. Lisa called down to the front desk and they met us on the way to the car with the directions.
We were lucky that the bleeding pretty much stopped by the time we got to the car, and with Buddy in tow, the Little Man calmed down. So much that we had to help him stay awake on the ride (with the time change it was already about 3 hours past his usual bedtime).


As far as ER visits (this being my first) I think it went pretty well. We waited a few minutes to be triaged, and then maybe 10 minutes to go back to a room. I bet we were there about 30 minutes before the Doctor poked his head in, and then another 30 or 40 before we actually did the stitches.

That was rough -possibly worse on his parents than the Little Man himself, but I assure you, he was not happy about it either. We had to strap him down to a backboard and a sheet to keep him still and then it took 3 of us to keep him completely still. I tried to sing to him during the stitches, but had to look away for most of it.

He feel asleep instantly on my shoulders afterwards and actually slept really well all night.

He seems to be doing great -other than the fact that our Hawaii vacation has been without swimming time so far. I think we'll try to waterproof it tomorrow and at least let him splash around in the pool.

Shondel (sister-in-law) has volunteered to take the stitches out on Friday, so we'll see how that goes!

3 comments:

  1. WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Sorry. Actually, though, Hyrum looks like he's going to be okay, but is Justin? He looks like he might pass out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear little man! Glad he (and you all) are okay.

    ReplyDelete