Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011

I believe our Christmas will always be pretty hectic and busy, but this year there was far less stress than I've felt in past years, so we must be getting the hang of it.  We don't get to see everyone, and we'd like to spend more time with each family, but we manage to spread our holiday cheer the best we can!

We made Christmas sugar cookies for Santa earlier in the day, since we weren't going to have any time later in the day.  Hyrum had me write the letter, and every time we asked him what he wanted to say, he kept saying he wanted to say Happy Birthday.  



This year we started at Grandma Colleens with Scott's family.  We had a yummy dinner and a lot of play time with Grandpa Lafeen.  Colleen managed to save just about every toy any of her kids ever played with, and since they were built and made in the 60's (when they had sharp corners -gasp) they are still in great shape!  It's quite the collection.  








After Colleens we headed up to spend time with the Goughs at Cindy and Lon's.  More cousins and toys -the kids favorite.  The adults enjoyed a delicious prime rib dinner, one of them was smoked for who knows how long, it was amazing.  We stayed as long as Kate could handle and then came home and put the kids to bed.  No nap and a TON of playing by Hyrum worked well for our bedtime routine.  Hyrum laid down and didn't stir even once.  


Christmas morning came and we had our little family's Christmas.  Santa brought the kids camping chairs and water bottles.  Along with a few small toys for each of them and Diesel train for Hyrum.  He put in a last minute request for that one that he must have got in time. Hyrum got a movie and a MP3 player from us and Kate got a new book, which she loves.  That girl loves having books read to her.  






Dad got a t shirt and a dress shirt with a tie.  Not very fancy, but, it matched what I wore that day to church.  So, the real present was the fact that I let me match me for the day.  

Mom got a Nook tablet.  I didn't think I wanted one, but it's pretty cool.  I think I will get a lot of use from it.  Justin also got me a gift certificate for a couple of mani and pedi's.  

There was a family gift that had been on our 'get after Christmas list' that Justin got a day earlier.  A new TV -that replaced the one that a certain 3 year old broke- and a wall mount.  To hopefully prevent the same fate for the new one.  Even better, we finally figured out how to get an HD picture on our HD tv.  Man, everyone looks a lot older!  

We needed help at church since I was playing for all the musical numbers and Justin was narrating the program so we invited Scott, Denise, and April to come along.  We did presents and a quick breakfast before church.  Hyrum was (of course) spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa Lafeen.  A couple of Thomas the Train sets and a Car's 2 set.  Along with a few more cars/trucks and a few PJ's.  Kate wasn't left out, a doll and little people van, along with a playskool walk/ride and some cute clothes.  

In all the hustle and bustle of the morning, I misplaced my memory card -so the rest of Christmas day is without a lot of pictures.  

We went to Dave and Lisa's right after church for brunch with the Goughs.  We had a yummy meal and did a few presents.  We also did gifts at Mimi and Papa's after the extended family left.  We're all going to California in February for our christmas gift, and we're all super excited!  A stop over in Las Vegas on the way down and back, a day in Disneyland and the Living Desert with a few extra days of hanging out in Palm Desert and the pool.  Very exciting.  

From there we headed over to the Hardcastles.  We did presents with them, the kids got toys and clothes and a few games and Thomas dvd.  Hyrum and Kate got Woody and Jessie pj's.  Hyrum had to put on the Woody shirt immediately and wore it the rest of the night.  Justin and I finally got our own sleeping bags (so we can stop borrowing my parents every summer), new sheets, some warm gloves, new clothes (that I had on) and an emergency flashlight and lantern.  We all chipped in and got my mom a canvas picture of the Temple and my dad got a couple of dumbbells and a new case for his iPad.  My parents 'gave each other' iPad's a month ago for their official Christmas gift.  But, as usual, my dad surprised my mom as well.  The two of them will be going to Vegas in February to see Celine Dion in concert.  

From there most of us went to Sally and Greg's for dinner.  Kate had had enough, so Justin volunteered to stay home so she could sleep.  Gordon and Matt couldn't make it, but the rest of us went for a delicious dinner and presents from Grandma Hardcastle.  She made all the little kids their own personalized quiet book, which were really nice.  
  

We slept over at the Hardcastles and Justin and I even got to go to a movie with friends while my parents watched the kids on Monday.  It was a very busy but fun holiday weekend.  It hasn't changed much in the last few years and I don't expect it to change in the next few either.  We never seem to get to spend enough time with family, but we do our best to get to everyone.  Plus, I think the kids love seeing everyone, so I'm sure we'll keep it up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment