Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Twas the week before Christmas

Twas the week before Christmas and nothing went right.

Ummm, I was going to attempt a clever little rhyme, but it's not happening, so I'll just tell you.  

Neighbor gifts this year were found on Pinterest.  The 'black coal' rice krispies wouldn't get dark enough, despite using half a bottle of Wilton black color. The first batch would not get anything darker than a dark purple.  It was a very nice purple, but didn't look at all like coal.  And the 2nd try?  I burnt the marshmallows on the bottom of the pan when I walked away to see what Hyrum was doing.  Luckily I caught it just as it started to smell like smore's.  Had to throw it out.  

Our fireplace hearth, on the other hand, did take the color very well the next day when Hyrum climbed up on the counter and stole the food coloring.  Along with his shirt and a few rags we tried to scrub the black off the stone.  

Sunday night we had a different color show up in Hyrum's eye. Technically it was red, but more commonly known as pink eye.  Luckily we started antibiotic drops the next day, so he's good to go by now.  But, that left us pretty much quarantined since Sunday, good thing I was done Christmas shopping.  

Kate's teething.  Which, really isn't too bad this time around.  Just makes her a little more whiny and clingy, making it hard to get this house clean.  

And finally?  Although I haven't had much to complain about with our current cable service (our 3rd one in 3 years and by far the best service and customer service we've had thus far), but I do now.  I've been told by a few different representatives that the technology these guys use is pretty archaic, compared to what's out there now.  The box often freezes and needs to be restarted, and will sometimes freeze at night, when no one is around and we miss recordings.  Not a huge deal.  This week it quit responding to the remote.  Yes, I change the batteries.  Even though I knew it wasn't the batteries, it still worked with the tv.  Even trying to change the channels on the unit itself wouldn't work.  

I called the customer service line around 4pm on Monday.  I got their after hours service. I asked what their hours were, and was told they were open until 5, but they must have a large call volume.  I left a message and was told they would call me back shortly.  I'm not sure what they consider 'shortly' but about 20 hours later I called back, still unable to use the cable box.  (Thank goodness for netflix) I left another message, and exaggerated a bit and told them it was the 3rd (not 2nd) time I had called.  This time I did get a call back a few hours later.  We tried an update and she tried resetting the unit remotely (losing all of our recordings), with no luck.  She did feel the need to mention no less than 5 times that I should make sure the cable button had been pushed on the remote.  I know there are people out there that need to be told that, but seriously?  I've called you twice, went without service for a couple days, AND the box doesn't even respond when I use the  buttons on it.  It's not that simple.  

So today, the first day all week where Hyrum isn't contagious and we could get out of this house, we're waiting around for someone to bring us a refurbished DVR.  With a new remote.  And hope that we get to use the service we pay for.  

In other, less ornery news, Christmas is almost here, and we're all getting pretty excited around here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment