Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Misery loves company?!?!

I'm never sure how personal I want to get on a blog. I can't imagine many people reading this, and most of you who do, are family or close friends... but I still don't know where to draw the line sometimes.

With that... I apologize for being a little cryptic with the details in the story, but I just had to share my evening with you.

So... Justin and I found ourselves outside the emergency room at Cottonwood Hospital last night for our sister-in-law. I found myself wondering, as her husband commented... Is this a drunk tank?

We saw VERY interesting people coming and going and lingering in front of the ER. Justin was allowed back to give a blessing and I didn't feel like waiting inside, so I stayed outside. I made ALOT of friends.

The first one who stayed around awhile was a women who came from the other end of the hospital, wheeling her IV stand with her. She needed a cigarette -or two. Let me tell you about what I know about this women...
1. She has cancer
2. Her daughter is 4 months along and she's had 3 previous miscarriages.
3. Another one of her daughters has no problem getting pregnant and will go with any 'Tom, Dick, and Harry'. She has 5 children from 4 different fathers.
4. Another daughter isn't ready for children yet.
5. Her son served our country overseas and lost his life.
6. She's been married twice.
7. She is LDS. "I really need to quit smoking."
8. Her roommate in the hospital is the most 'disgusting and unsanitary person [she's] ever met in [her] life.
9. Her roommate has a small incision and she wants pain meds every hour.
10. This women has a larger incision, packed with gauze, and she only gets her meds every 4 hours.
11. The roommate requested a catheter because she's sick of getting out of bed.
12. I learned a few more things about the roommate, but they're kind of gross... I'll spare you.
13. The women hasn't seen her grandchildren because her daughter 'holds them against her'
14. She used to weight 164lbs. She got down to 85 lbs because of her cancer, but now she's up to 105 and they took her g-tube out.
15. She and her husband have moved in with her pregnant daughter. Her husband is the daughters fiance's boss.

My other friend was shorter lived. She was waiting for a ride. She works for an airline and has a problem that the doctors can't explain. A few days ago she went to another hospitals ER and was told -after waiting 6 hours- the doctor didn't have time to see her, and if she walked herself in, she could walk herself out!!!!

Other than that... I was pleased to hear a conversation with a very drunk man laying on the grass talking into his cell phone with several people, trying to convince them he was at the hospital. Finally, a nurse walked by and he got her to yell into the phone that he was at Cottonwood. He was picked up in a car about 10 minutes after that. A couple who were definitely tweaking on something told me all about their problems and kept asking me questions about why I was there.

Somehow... I managed to keep my personal information personal.

I hope everyone at the Cottonwood ER is on the mend this morning.

5 comments:

  1. Funny post, P keeps asking "what's funny Mom". Hope your sister in law is ok!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't hospitals grand? We encountered a very drunk man at the airport in Las Vegas at the beginning of June. He was making me nervous. I thought he was going to puke on us.

    Then, this one time when Ross and I were in Italy, a crazy (and I mean crazy) Italian man whipped it out and peed right in front of me.

    That was special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought for a minute that this might be a trailer for "Sicko" but apparently it was real life... oh wait, that's a documentary, so it's real life too? Perplexing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. That sounds almost worse than the Kenny Chesnuts concert. I hope things with your sister-in-law aren't too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as an update... our sister-in-law came back home, so things are looking better.

    ReplyDelete