Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A drive through memory lane (or, a main road in Roy)

Yesterday the Little Man and I went to see my mom in the hospital following a surgery on Monday. After hanging out with her for a bit, I went to hang out with a friend that I hardly ever see anymore. The funny thing is, I go to Roy all of the time -at least 3 or 4 times a month. But, my parents moved from the home I grew up in when I was 22, so I don't drive around really familiar roads much.

I was just surprised that so many random memories came up while I was driving. First was the credit union that a friends mom worked at and I would go and see her all of the time. The road that used to be a field, that another friend always wanted to drive through -when it was a field. He said it wasn't very exciting after they paved it and made it legal to drive through. The 'old folks home' that our youth group would go to every couple of months on Sunday -and where my friend got a speeding ticket while we all watched as we drove by to get there one day.

The other thing that I found odd (and made me feel kind of old) was how much things have changed. Roy has gone west over the last few years, and countless fields and parks that I was used to seeing were now dotted with commercial buildings and new neighborhoods.

It made me remember driving with my dad to my Great Grandpa's house in Sandy. Every time we went my dad would have to make the same comment about how 'all of this' used to be fields (where malls, auto-dealerships, and countless commercial buildings now are).

I guess now I'll have the same story for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment