Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cakes and BBQ sauce

Not together, mind you. But I've smelled like frosting for days and then last night when I was driving home, all I could smell was barbecue sauce.

Last night was our Young Women's dinner (and fundraiser). We (there were 4 of us) made and somewhat served dinner for over 100 people, so it's not surprising I went home smelling like something. We tried to make it as easy as possible on us, and had pulled pork sandwiches, salad, beans and chips. We lucked out and got pre-cooked and pre-shredded pork from my mother-in-law (thanks again!) so it wasn't a lot of prep work.

At the end of the evening we auctioned off cakes and other baked goods that people donated. That's where the frosting came in.

I spent most of the weekend baking, frosting, decorating, and frosting some more. I won't even begin to tell you how many cakes I had over the last few days, but it was more than I had to sell (one somehow was in my sink and I turned the faucet on it).

Anyway, I make a few 'Easter Egg' cakes (I only got pictures of two) and an elaborate (by my standards) 'Easter Basket' cake.

7 comments:

  1. The cakes look great! Your dinner sounds like a lot of work, I bet you are so glad it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh! I want to make the pictures bigger so I can see all the details! I wish I was getting married this month so you could make me an easter basket wedding cake. That is adorable! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cakes are amazing! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good at that, it looks awesome! Makes me want to finish those cake classes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Moses Mel!!!
    I need to practice the basket weave more.. you inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melly,
    We have made about $600 on our auction. I haven't collected it all, but this is great news. Thanks for all the help! I think people had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful cakes! You do GREAT work!!!

    ReplyDelete