Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The beginning of the end

If you know me, I don't need to explain my love for Subaru's. If you don't know me, and you don't own (and love) a Subaru, just believe what all of the commercials say -some people just LOVE their Subaru's.

That's me.

My little Subaru is almost 18 years old, but only has 150 thousand miles on it. (That's nothing for a Subaru). I bought it for a GREAT deal in 2003 and have been very happy with it. It doesn't like the summer, so I've made a repair or two almost every summer -at the most it was a $700 job. Most of it was around $300. So... about $500 a year. That's about a $40 a month. Not too bad.

Justin doesn't like old cars -driving in them or fixing them. And, I admit, now that I've usually got a baby with me, reliability means even more to me.

It's summer, which means it's overheating -even on pretty short trips.

We tried to get in on the 'Cash for Clunkers' deal, but for good and bad, the sub' still get's over 23 miles to the gallon. Not officially a clunker according to the government. Or, at least not one that would qualify for the $4500 deal.

So... we either keep fixing this one, buy another cheaper car with cash, or (gulp) start paying a car payment. We haven't had a car payment for over 2 years. I hate the idea of having one, and Justin hates the idea even more.

Plus... you know that Subaru love thing? I am really hoping on swapping my old Subaru for a new one.

So... if any of you out there would like to buy a used (but loved) Subaru, I'll sell it to you.

For Ten Thousand Dollars.

Anyone? Hello?

3 comments:

  1. Too bad, I think my brother in law is selling his new Subaru today. I have heard mostly nothing but great things about Subarus so who knows maybe it would be worth a car payment?! AS for the old one... I am pretty sure you could sell it on KSL in hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking everywhere for really old overheating cars in the 10,000 range. Unfortunately, we just got a new car...well, new/used and older than the one we got rid of. And we still have 2 car payments. It sucks. But it's time you get a big new reliable mom car. SUV-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should bring it to Yuma and run the A/C...that'll bring your mpg down...but it'll overheat in about 100 yards. Remember that old Sub' I had at USU? It was so f'n ugly, but it was awesome! 4WD, candy apple red, and $800. How can it get better than that? (ps...it hasn't yet)

    ReplyDelete