Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Worst. DJ. Ever.

If Justin was posting about his 10 year high school reunion, this might have a different title. But, when the spouse of the graduate attends the high school reunion, said spouse tends to focus on the decor, food, and the music. So, MY title to Justin's High School reunion post is... Worst. DJ. Ever. (And yes, that scene from Love Actually truly brought you that title, but I couldn't find it on youtube).


So... Cottonwood High class of 1999 held their reunion at the high school. The decor consisted of black and yellow streamers and balloons strung up around the common area and tables. Oh, and a "9" and "9" balloon set up by the DJ. (This will become more important in a few moments).

The food? Not bad. I enjoy Meier's BBQ (You don't attend a singles ward with Brother Meier without growing to love their food). I'm pretty sure they weren't paying $35 a plate for the catering, but whatever.

The music? It's a reunion for the class of '99. What do you think the DJ might play? Maybe music from the 90's? Perhaps some loud, sometimes whiny, women like Sarah McLauchlan, Celine Dion, Sheryl Crow. Or, an homage to the great 'grunge/alternative' bands that were so popular like Green Day, Weezer, and Garbage. Even more 'timeless' groups that at least had some hits in the late 90's... U2, Smashing Pumkins, Areosmith -even Billy Joel.

Nope, this guy (who had vinyl records, I might add) played stuff from the 80's, 60's, and weird rap songs from who knows when. I understand throwing a couple of these songs in for some variety -but it's a high school reunion from 1999! It's not that tough. I'm don't know how much of our $35 a plate when to pay the DJ, but I'm pretty sure even I could have done better with a BOSE speaker, an iPod, and $25 from iTunes.


I think Justin enjoyed himself (despite the background music). His best friend, Jason, was there. I know his wife, Marie, so I had someone to talk to for most of it. Guess we'll see if they get the DJ straightened out by the time the next reunion comes around.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha! Loved the D.J. he was my fav! But the black, white and yellow m&m's were quite the hit too! I'm sure a pretty penny went into getting those as well. Thanks for the laugh Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Really? You're gonna so casually lump Celine in the same category as Sarah and Sheryl? Really? She's totally at the top of my bi-curious list.

    ReplyDelete