Sunday, November 17, 2013

Another Book Report

Last time I posted every day I included a few quotes I had written down from books I was reading.  I kept that up (keeping a running tab of quotes I liked) so here's a few more... (turns out I've either forgotten to write any down lately, or the last few books I've read haven't been all that special).

The Monuments Men by Robert M Edsel

79
War did not come like a hurricane... Destroying everything in its path.  It came like a tornado, touching down in patches, taking with it one life while leaving the next person unharmed (James Rorimer)

345
But he had sold his soul, and that is something you can never repurchase at any price.

411
There are fights that you may lose without losing your honor; what makes you lose your honor is not to fight them (Jacques Jaujard)

I learned that we are only truly able to savor victory after having felt the horrors of war (Rose Valland)

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

12
I ain't the same as I was.  I'd like to think I am but I ain't.
You are inside.  Inside you are.

79
Ever dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before that got me into it.  It was never the dumb thing.  It was always some choice I made before it.

89
A goodlookin horse is like a goodlookin woman he said.  They're always more trouble than what they're worth.  What a man needs is just one that will get the job done.

109
He'd half meant to speak but those eyes had altered the world forever in the space of a heartbeat.

168
There ain't but one truth... The truth is what happened.  It ain't what come out of somebody's mouth.

235
If one were to be a person of value that value could not be a condition subject to the hazards of fortune.  It had to be a quality that could not change.  No matter what.  ...all courage was a form of constancy.  That it was always himself that the coward abandoned first.  After this all other betrayals came easily.

238
In the end we all come to be cured of our sentiments.  Those whom life does not cure death will.

The Crossing  by Cormac McCarthy

129
Doomed enterprises divide lives forever into the then and the now.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

188
Fear is contagious.  You can catch it.  Sometimes all it takes is for someone to say that they're scared for the fear to become real.

No comments:

Post a Comment