Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veteran's Day

FOB Shank

Veteran's Day has been around in its current form since 1954 to honor those who have served. The concept of recognizing veterans has been around much longer. However, now that I am on the other end of the honoring, I can wholeheartedly understand why most veterans do not seek or expect any honor at all - it's because it's a privilege to serve. While I believe it is a fundamental right to protect myself and my family, it is a special privilege to be a representative of a community, a state, a nation, and a way of life.

US Embassy - Kabul
I've always been a patriotic person. Melanie knows that I've had a desire to serve for some time and let's face it, I'm a bit of a sentimental person who likes the occasional pomp and circumstance.

My experience in Afghanistan is difficult to express in few words and most of the time challenging to relay to those who have never been there, never deployed, or never been in the military before. People ask me if I was ever in danger or if I was in a "safe place". In reality, I was not. No American - no member of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) is completely safe in a war zone.


FOB Shank in front of the RTCH

Was it worth it? Absolutely. The value in my mobilization was in the blessing of our mission. We essentially prepare and dispose or otherwise move government property off bases, limiting or eliminating the need for convoy transport and accelerating the President's order to withdraw. We literally saved lives and helped servicemembers, contractors and civilians come home.

FOB Salerno Team
I do miss the work and the people. I managed 96 in my detachment. I was the only officer. I made it a point to do everything my people did - that I asked them to do. I flew in many different types of aircraft, I went on convoys, I used a forklift, a Petrogen torch, I briefed Generals and Admirals and high-level government officials. I worked with local Afghans. It was everything I could possibly hope for it to me.

FOB Sharana - Petrogen torch
And so it is a bit different this Veteran's Day to actually be a veteran.

Briefing several stars and the Assistant SECDEF
I've mentioned this story a few times but it's important to put things in writing. A few weeks before I came home I was taking my Commander to the rotary terminal on Forward Operating Base (FOB) Shank and he asked me what I was looking forward to not doing when I got home. He starting listing a few things - wearing shower shoes, using plasticware at meals, the bunkers, etc. I thought about it a moment and said, "Sir, there hasn't been a hardship for me personally on this deployment that is greater than the pain of being away from my children and my wife." I really am grateful to be home. There were times that I wondered if I would - that is something you just get used to in that environment. It becomes a little surreal to let go and be home.

I am thankful I had the opportunity to serve. Thankful for those who have served before me, and humbled by the sacrifices of so many - even those who have lost their lives with the selfless motivation to do something for so many they would never know.

Headed home

No comments:

Post a Comment