Tuesday, September 4, 2007

One Hundred and One... and I'm not talking about Dalmations

This post will be started today (September 4, 2007) but it will not be finished today. (I do have to get SOME work done) But... I was inspired to write a post entitled 101 things about ME... so here goes.
1. I am 27.

2. I am tall. (5' 11")




3. I have blue eyes.




4. I have brown hair (usually).

5. I have opinions about most things, but feel insecure in all things.

6. I am loved. By my family. By my friends. And most of all, by my wonderful husband.

7. I have plans for the future, but am fearful of taking the first step.

8. I feel, and have felt for some time, that I would make a good 'obscenely rich person'. I'm talking an obscene amount of money... not just 'well-off.' I know that these people still struggle and have their own set of problems, but I think I would be willing to have their problems. And, that I'd be good at it. I'd be a really nice 'rich' person. I'd give a lot away, I'd volunteer my time, and I would raise my kids to be well grounded and humble. I'm just saying... if ever given the opportunity, I'd think I'd be good at it.




9. I don't need an 'obscene' amount of money to make me happy. And... I hope my children will be well-grounded and humble anyway. With or without money.

10. I like to travel.

11. I have had many friends in my life. All of whom I continue to love and many I miss on a daily basis.


12. I am a Pisces.

13. I still have to look up how to spell Pisces.

14. I have 20/20 vision -thanks to lasik eye surgery.

15. I am a Viking (Valley View Elementary), a Redskin (Roy Jr), a Royal (Roy High) and an Aggie (Utah State).


16. I am a Red Sox Fan. I love Boston, the "T", and Green Monstah... and watched as they won the world series in '04 and 'beat the curse'.





17. I am a grand-daughter, a daughter, a sister, a sister-in-law, a niece, a wife, and an aunt. I am also a caseworker, co-worker, teacher, and friend.





18. I'm a 'dog person'. Always have been. Always will be.




19. I have traveled to California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, New York, Massachusetts, Mexico, London, Paris, Raratonga (Cook Islands) and New Zealand.
(And I've had lay-overs in Illinois, and Georgia.)

20. I did NOT have to look up how to spell Massachusetts.

21. I like to have my toe nails painted a dark color.

22. I am afraid of falling and hitting my teeth on the ground.

23. I used to suck my thumb.

24. I'm afraid of heights, but I love roller coasters and want to go skydiving.

25. I carry 2 cell phones and a palm pilot with me at all times. I need a treo.
26. I like to bake, and I eat the batter. Even if it has eggs in it.

27. I have kept a journal most of my life.

28. I work for the State of Utah.

29. I applied for a graduate program at the University of Utah. I didn't get in. I received my final 'loser-letter' the same day I went on my first date with my now-husband. I think I got the better end of the the deal!


30. I am the oldest of 4 kids. I am a typical 'oldest child' personality type.
You Are Likely a First Born

At your darkest moments, you feel guilty.
At work and school, you do best when you're researching.
When you love someone, you tend to agree with them often.

In friendship, you are considerate and compromising.
Your ideal careers are: business, research, counseling, promotion, and speaking.
You will leave your mark on the world with discoveries, new information, and teaching people to dream.

31. Over the years I've wanted to be a dentist, a teacher, a lawyer, a mom, and a therapist, but never a caseworker.
32. I am a caseworker for the State of Utah.

33. I've eaten a pigs eye. It was disgusting -don't do it. I've also eaten pigs brain and lambs tail. All things I don't ever need to do again.

34. I started reading Harry Potter (the FIRST book) when everyone else was reading the 7th book. I'll get there.





35. I bought a wedding dress at the first shop I went in to. And, I loved it.







36. I am still friends with my best friend from kindergarten.

37. I have been with someone when they died.

38. My favorite ice cream is cookies 'n' cream and strawberry cheesecake.

39. I hate reality TV. I hate fake reality TV. I don't watch any kind of reality TV -this includes local news. This does NOT include Ace of Cakes http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_db. This is the exception that proves the rule. I love Ace of Cakes.
40. I don't really have a favorite color. I like green and purple -not the barney type. But... I love the combination of Red and Blue too -that might have something to do with the Red Sox.

41. I've always struggled with my weight, and expect that I always will.

42. Including the moves in New Zealand while serving an LDS mission, I've technically moved 17 times.

From Provo to Clearfield to Roy. From Roy to Logan 4 different times. I've lived in 3 different apartments in Salt Lake City, and I moved 4 different times in New Zealand.

42. I have belonged to many groups and teams over the years. Soccer, softball, tap dancing, basketball, and singing groups. I do not belong to any groups or teams as an adult.

43. I love watching movies. I love reading about movies. I love reading screenplays for movies.

44. I like trying new recipes.

45. I've started to participate in 5K's this year. I'll do 3 by the end of the September. Maybe next year I'll try a 10K. No promises.

46. I love going to the dentist. Especially when he gives me laughing gas.






47. I used to have a huge crush/obsession with Matt Damon. It's now moved from an obsession to a appreciation for his good looks, acting ability, and choice in movie scripts. -Oh, and... the Boston/Red Sox factor. This is MUCH healthier.


48. I drive a subaru. My dad has owned 2 subaru's. My sister drives a subaru and my sister-in-law just bought a new subaru. Draw your own conclusions.


49. I went to Paris, France and London, England on my honeymoon. Yep, pretty sweet!

50. I can't believe I'm only half-way done with my list. This is hard.

51. I listen to only one radio station. I'm not exaggerating. If the radio is on (which it is every morning from 6-10 and throughout most of the day) it's on one radio station. In my car I only have one preset saved, and it's at 96.3 FM. I'm addicted (and have been for some time now -FOP since 1993) to the morning show... "Radio from Hell with Kerry, Bill, and Gina. KXRK. Provo, Ogden, Salt Lake City, IS X96. http://www.x96.com/12605TIME/djs/rfh.asp I don't always agree with them, but I do more often than not. And either way, they make me smile, and they make the gym more bearable.

52. I have... no fewer than 5 email addresses I check daily. I'm sure there are many more that have expired or I've forgotten about. gmail, hotmail, yahoo, red-sox.net, and utah.gov. I need to simplify.

53. My motto for my life (yes I have a motto -it's a long story) is

SMILE AND BE GRATEFUL

54. I like calenders. I have wall calenders in my office and kitchen. And I use my palm pilot constantly, as well as a google.com calender.


55. I love the DVR (TiVo). I love to record shows and watch them later, and I've always hated commercials, so now I never have to watch them.


56. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

57. I play the piano and organ. I can sort of play the guitar, I wish I was better.




58. I know my best friends email (and most other things) password, and I have for probably 9 years. And she knows mine -if she remembers it.




59. I don't like telling people what I'm really thinking. It scares me worse than anything. Luckily, I married someone who is the exact opposite and forces me to face that fear. Sometimes I'm not very good at it though.

60. I hate to be late. I'd rather be early. I get anxious when I even think I might be late to things.

61. I can wiggle my ears.

62. I have some regrets, but I know I can't change the past and wouldn't choose to.








63. My favorite Sesame Street character is Grover.

64. My favorite Disney character is Winnie the Pooh -but I prefer Classic Pooh

65. My favorite scent at Bath and Body Works is Coconut Lime Verbena. I also love citrus scents.

66. I don't listen to the words of songs.

67. I like that my family doubled (or even tripled) when I got married.

68. I am quite critical of other people, but even more of myself.

69. I absolutely LOVE getting full-body massages. If I had the time and money I would get one every week. Who am I kidding... every day-but I'd settle for once a month.

70. I love children's books. I have a collection of about 150. I stopped buying them (or at least large quantities of them) about a year ago. I'm sure I'll start again when I have actual children. My favorites authors are, Ian Falconer (Olivia series), Dr. Seuess, Janell Cannon, Max Lucado, David Shannon (David books), and Lorna and Lecia Balian (The Animal)


71. I can't fall asleep if my feet are cold.

72. I choose Miracle Whip over Mayonnaise, Skim Milk over 2%, the toilet paper goes over the top, and I like runny macaroni & cheese. Corn chips over potato chips, air travel over road trips, crunchy over creamy peanut butter and being 10 minutes early over 5 minutes late.

73. If I could choose a super-power it would to be invisible.

74. I only like to drink ice-cold water. I hate room temperature liquid. I had a hard time in Europe with this.

75. I have seen every episode of Friends, Will & Grace, ER, the Office, and Rescue Me. Several times.

76. I wish I would have taken photography and pottery in high school.

77. I drive a 1992 Subaru Legacy. I have a Red Sox and New Zealand sticker on the window and a AAA bumper sticker. I need to get a 'Buy Local First Utah' sticker.
78. I prefer to buy from local merchants. It's more money out our pockets, but better for our economy overall. I hate Wal-Mart, and apart from an unfortunate visit for parade supplies in July, I haven't shopped there for almost 2 years.

79. This why I hate Wal-Mart. http://www.walmartmovie.com/

80. My favorite flower is a daisy with a purple center and the underside of the petals are purple. They grew like weeds in New Zealand. I have no idea what they're called.

81. I wish I drove a hybrid car.

82. My parents are still married. Almost 29 years.










83. My favorite movie is Good Will Hunting.


84. I don't smoke and I don't drink. Although I've tried both.

85. One of my biggest fears is having infertility problems.

86. I put lotion on every day, usually several times a day.

87. I don't like confrontation.

88. My favorite quote of all time is:

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead


Just walk beside me and be my friend.

89. Sometimes I count the steps when I walk, or how many seconds it takes me to do things. This is a very slight OCD characteristic. I have other OCD traits... but they're also pretty insignificant. Or, at least that's what I tell myself.

90. I'm a liberal. But, I'm liberal for Utah, which isn't probably that liberal.


91. I was named after a girl that my mom used to baby-sit. I went to her wedding quite a few years ago with my mom, it was kind of weird.


92. I collect bells. This is not one of my bells, but I have several that are similar. I don't know why there's a pair of glasses in the picture.



93. I've had many nicknames over the years... Mel, Mel Bell, Mellons, Melly, Harcase, Softshack, Hard-lee. My favorite is Melly.

94. I was a vegetarian for 2 and a half years. It started when I was in 9th grade. I wasn't a very good vegetarian, I was anemic all the time. The first meal I had with meet in it was at my uncles wedding and it was chicken cordon bleu. I love meat now.

95. My favorite holiday is Christmas.

96. I am fairly successful as a professional, but have a hard time seeing myself that way.

97. I have arthritis.

98. I worked at a Boy Scout Camp. Actually everyone by my mom sister has worked at a Boy Scout Camp. My dad's a Professional Scout, so I guess it just comes with the territory.

99. I never wear high heals. See # 2 for an explanation. I did buy my first (and only) pair of 'hooker boots' last year. I only wear them when Justin's out of town.

100. I love having lunch with friends.

101. I am sarcastic. It's toned down over the years... but it's definatley still there.


Ha! I can't believe I'm finished! I also can't believe anyone would want to read all of that. But... it was an interesting few days while I was writing it, I'm glad I did.

5 comments:

  1. Great list Melanie. I too have an "appreciation" for Matt Damon and after the last Bourne movie, my appreciation was definitetly renewed.

    I think I have arthritis, too, but after all the doctors appointments I've had in the last year, I'm not really interested in finding out there is something else wrong with me at the moment.

    My favorite flowers are hydrangeas, and I LOVE! Europe intensley. I'd love to live in London for a spell, but I probably won't until I'm old...unless I can get my parents to move there, too.

    I enjoyed your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember your password...and yes, that's still my password for everything. Was that the best picture you had of me? I'll send you some cuter ones to remember me by.

    I love the 101 things about you...that was fun to read. I was happy that I knew most of that, but there was still a few that I never knew (ie. you bought hooker boots). Call me...we haven't chatted in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I am scared of falling on my teeth too, mostly on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great post Melly, I loved reading it!
    Thanks for the ideas on kids books, I need to buy more, the kids are getting bored with our selection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was great I think everyone should write one. Some stuff I knew but I learned some too. MOM

    ReplyDelete