Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Opportunity Costs

While some of you know my aspirations for international experience, to some this could be a surprise. My undergraduate degree has an itty bitty minor attached in International Business, and my MBA has an international and entrepreneurial focus.

I like to travel. Most of the time I look for opportunities to leave home at least once a month, but sometimes more. It amazes me that I get this urge to pack up an leave every now and then because I sure do love coming back home. Three days is the perfect vacation in my eyes.

This is all coming up because within the next year it is our plan to move. The jury is still out on foreign v. domestic, but the move is on. My immediate options in the US would be Boston, MA, Reston, VA, Redwood City, CA, or Minneapolis, MN. Internationally we have Mississauga, ON, Canada; Bangalore, India; Bogota, Columbia; Sao Paulo, Brazil; Syndey, Australia.

It is important and more convenient to have these international experiences earlier in order to better position myself for future career opportunities, but there are many things to think about. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I vote domestic since you will probably want me to pay my own way to come visit. Now, if you are willing to subsidize my international visits, by all means, go foreign...but not Bogota...its scary there. And, I'm pretty sure we all know how I feel about Boston. I'm surprised your wife is even giving you an option if that's on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote sydney so we can come see you there, but I also vote Boston. how bout if mel goes to boston and you go to sydney, then we can visit you both. maybe we can make an uber vacation out of it.... yay....

    ReplyDelete