Wednesday, July 9, 2008

History in the making



When I was little I had my pictures taken while sitting in a rocking chair with horrible fabric:





Now that I am older, my great- grandmother (Grandma Purple) has saved that rocking chair for me to have and share with my future children. Even when someone else in the family would try to claim it she stood her ground and said, "No, that's Justin's rocking chair." I love her so much.


Well, Melanie and I stopped by her house on Monday because we were in the area and I took possession of the chair. The next day I went to the fabric store and then to Shondel and Dustin's house to use their sewing machine (yes, I am multi-talented and can use a sewing machine). Today I went over to Home Depot and bought a staple gun, the last tool I needed in my restoration project....


...and voila!


I think it's important to have artifacts and heirlooms because it makes things worth more to a person. At any rate, I'm sure glad my grandma and I think alike because I'm happy to keep this in the family.

5 comments:

  1. Impressive. You did a good job, and I can't believe how fast you made this little project happen. I got a few bricks from my grandparents 100 year old that got demolished and I wanted to do something creative with them...they been in the trunk of my car for just over 2 years now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool! I am impressed with your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job on it Justin! Melanie told me all about it and I'm glad that I got to see the final product. Maybe you are the next Martha in the makings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect for baby and parent naps. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I still say the stripes make the chair look larger than it is... that's what I'm going to stick with.

    ReplyDelete