Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


This post is overdue. A couple weeks ago - the Fourth of July - my brother-in-law and father-in-law hiked Mount Olympus here in the Salt Lake Valley. A great day for a hike with good company.

The hike starts out with moderate steepness - luckily the forrest service helped us out by creating stair-like levels. The temperature was perfect. Though, if you know my father-in-law, that didn't stop the persperation.

About halfway (around a mile and a half or more) we came to a small creek that was not running as strong as I remember it from years past. Nevertheless, the cool air was perfect at this stage and there were trees/shrubs all around. The hiking was a little more labored.

At the saddle we stopped and looked around:
It really was beautiful...

...until we came to the worst part - the last 600 vertical feet - and they really were nearly vertical!


In the end it was well worth it...and then we had to climb DOWN! Matt mentioned that he needed proof that he actually needed to slide down a part of the mountain - here's the evidence!

Thank you for a great hike!

3 comments:

  1. Gordon is still SO BUMMED that he didn't get to hike with you guys. I really wish he would have because now I get to go with him. Just looking at that pic of the last 600 vertical feet makes me tired!! How about you take him?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I did Mt. Olympus . . . once! I couldn't walk for a week.

    ReplyDelete