Wednesday, November 19, 2008

An early christmas

I'm debating on whether or not I should get my Christmas decorations out this week. I really enjoy Christmas and Christmas decorations, but I'm also a firm believer in ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME. Which means, you don't start decorating for the next holiday until the previous one is finished (I know I'm not the only one who feels strongly about this). By ALL means, put up your outside lights before it snows, but I think there should be some city ordinance against turning them on before Thanksgiving.

Back to MY dilemma. I've been looking forward to decorating for Christmas since we moved into our home in May (that might be because it will actually look like I've done some decorating in general, I'm apparently the complete opposite of my sister-in-law who moved in 2 weeks ago and her house looks like a picture out of a magazine -that's a compliment Jes -just in case that wasn't clear). I'm afraid that if I wait until after Thanksgiving, that I'll be a little preoccupied with trying to figure out a baby, and the decorating won't happen. Okay... to tell you the truth, I'm actually MORE afraid that I'll find myself STILL pregnant after Thanksgiving, but that's another story.

I brought it up with Justin last night, and he didn't think it was such a great idea. I'm almost done with Christmas shopping (I need about 3 or 4 more gifts, and a couple of those are actually birthday presents) but he wasn't too excited about early decorating. I tried to convince him that all of the going up and down the stairs and putting up decorations may actually induce labor. I don't think he's convinced, but he did tell me that his 'book' said I would want to clean all of the time, and THAT'S not happening.

He's right, the nesting stage either missed me, or didn't include an obsession to clean. I'm not sure if I ever feel that absolute need to clean. Too bad for us, and our house. Luckily I have a willing husband who gives in, and has been doing far more than his fair share of cleaning.

Either way, don't judge me if I have a Christmas Tree up at my house soon. I promise I won't turn the lights on.

15 comments:

  1. I think under the circumstances, it's perfectly acceptable for you to put up your Christmas decorations early. And also acceptable to leave them up till late January as you'll be busy with the new little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it is bad to put up a Christmas tree before Thanksgiving, even though I know that you do generally feel otherwise though. I don't see anything wrong with putting it up early, especially given your situation at this time! And, you can turn the lights on..that's part of the fun about a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't do it! I will help you after Thanksgiving if you need, but do not put up your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put it up! That may just be how you nest. If it takes your mind off of things, won't that be a bonus? I say do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if you are not doing the Thanksgiving hosting it is fine to do the decorations the weekend before. That way it is a smooth transition. I also think the less stress you have "for the season" the more you can enjoy it (by not decorating, shopping etc) it give you more time to watch Love Actually... but if you do turn on your lights before black friday I will hunt you down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will help you take it down if you feel you need to leave it up till late January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do it! Thanksgiving is a week late this year so by the time you decorate Christmas will be less than 30 days away. That's not fair to Christmas, Thanksgiving will understand. By the way, I'm usually the same way, but I'm decking the halls this saturday and I'm so excited! Fa la la la la, la la la la.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this point in life I think you get to do whatever makes you feel good and happy. If that means putting up a tree and even turning on the lights you get to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe Justin could do the physical part of Christmas decorating as you direct him? Or just give in and put the tree up, a week or two early won't hurt anyone. Plus, it would probably take your mind off the fact that your baby still isn't here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I think you should have pitty on me and let me help you decorate your house. Seriously I don't have a house to decorate, just a little apartment. I would love to come over during the day and after Thanksgiving to help you decorate. Besides I can even hold the baby while you decorate if you feel left out. There are things you can do and some that will take time to get energy back. It's up to you, but if you want to wait I am putting the offer on the table. (although I don't have a problem celebrating them both anymore. I have a blog post from last November explaining my take on the whole thing).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the "don't do it" people...I will also come help you decorate...or watch the baby while you decorate...either way the decorating can wait until after Thanksgiving. But do put up the Christmas lights. It's a great idea to do it before it snows.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is funny that we have more comments about the Thanksgiving-Christmas Dilemma than we do on previous political posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's been more comments on this post than ANY previous post. I guess people love (or hate) their Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go for it! Anything to get this baby here! From a first time grandma to be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tree is up, house lights are up - which makes me feel like I have one extra week to enjoy the holidays. I will wait until after Justin/Dusty's birthday to turn the lights on though. I like them to feel like its their birthday first before I get too festive.

    I will be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete