Saturday, November 24, 2012

"The better part of one's life consists of his friendships." Lincoln


"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me."

When we walked out of the theater, I turned to Melanie and just said, "There's just no question," and she agreed. Lincoln is really one of the best "mostly historically accurate" films I think I've seen in a long time - or perhaps ever. Daniel Day-Lewis was incredibly believable as the former President, so much that at times I felt that he fully allowed himself to be taken over by the character. Beside the effective acting, it was, at times, intelligently humorous, and other times somber and sorrowful.

What truly amazed me was the way the system worked so well. There was still the political game of Washington, but with strength and conviction for making changes that were revolutionary. The thought was published in the past couple years that history remembers past presidents in a much more positive light than when they were in office, or when they left the office. I recognize that we've come a long way since Lincoln and that we may exaggerate the greatness of the man, but even so, his words have inspired me and the brief portion of his history that I viewed today has convinced me of what people can accomplish as they work toward a just cause and in the service of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment