Friday, October 12, 2007

Sense of Humor

I think it's important for everyone to have a sense of humor, but it can be quite relative. Today at staff meeting (which is normally 10-15 minutes of actual 'business' and 30-45 minutes of eating and venting) the nurse that works with our team mentioned that maybe she should try to get hired on as a caseworker because our jobs are 'so interesting'.
It's very easy to make our jobs sound interesting in a 20 minute ramp of how dumb our kids are, stupid the judges are, and clueless the parents can be. (For those of you out there who may not know what I do, I work for the State of Utah in the Division of Child and Family Services. I have a caseload of kids who are in states custody (foster care) and most of mine happen to have kind of developmental delay).

On a daily basis, it's only our sick, dark, and often misunderstood sense of humor that keeps us coming back day after day. -That and the health care benefits.

Where else can you find a group of people laughing about that fact that we work with sad, helpless, but often idiotic kids and despite all of the system barriers, we're expected to get them through their childhood -with as few criminal charges as possible. And with some of our kids, that'd would be quite an accomplishment.


In other news... I'm ALL decked out in my Boston Gear today. The Red Sox are playing their first play-off game against the Indians tonight. I'M SO EXCITED!


4 comments:

  1. I got all this new boston gear and i'm all conflicted. I want to wear it today, but I have a Kofa game. Want to wear it for tomorrow's game, but LSU is also playing...what am I to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's easy!!! It's the PLAY-OFFS! The Sox need your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting...I broke my LSU gear wearing tradition to wear sox gear tonight...AND THEY BOTH LOST! I take full responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you she be a teacher. It is entertaining for many of the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete