Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What else could it be?

I'm not sure how many of you have had the unfortunate moment where you asked a woman if she was pregnant, and she wasn't. It's not something I'll do twice. I still remember who and where I did it (and I still see this person every once in a while because she works with one of my 'work kids'.) I will never ask, if I'm not already sure.

I quite enjoy watching people look, and squirm, and you can just see it in their face that they think you're pregnant, but they don't want to ask. Sometimes, if the situation warrants it, I'll say something, but other times I won't -either because it's kind of fun to watch, or it's just not the right time or place to have to announce I'm 'with child'.

However... I am now almost 7 months along, and I'm 'showing' no matter what I'm wearing. In addition, today I'm wearing this shirt

Is there really a question as to whether or not I'm pregnant? (hint- my belly is quite a bit more pronounced than this little not-pregnant model). Our receptionist saw me this morning, and said, "Can I ask you a really personal question?" Yes. "Are you going to have a baby?"
I'm sorry if I'm being insensitive, or I'm missing something, but what else could it be? On top of that, most of the office knows I am, so if you were wondering, don't you think you'd ask someone (just in case I'm just gaining a large amount of weight in my stomach and I am now buying maternity wear for the fun of it?)
Just to clarify... I'm not upset or even annoyed, I just think it's kind of funny. I've never asked for people to answer questions in my comment section, but I'd be interested if you've ever asked if someone was pregnant, and they weren't, it's not something you soon forget!

12 comments:

  1. I've never asked that... but I've been asked! Typically by clients - to which I respond... No honey, I'm just fat. good times! I can't help but laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never asked. Well, that's not true. I asked a guy a couple days ago, but it turned out it was just beer and cheese burgers. Awk-ward! Never again.

    I totally know what you mean though...

    Also, thanks for clearing it up. I've been wanting to ask you for a couple months now. Cute shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a guy i thing the rule of thumb is to never ask. (or try to associate pregnancy with anything else) Never. Don't ask the person; don't ask a friend or co worker. It is never a good idea. It's best to say you look nice in that top or ask how they are doing. Normally then something baby related will come out. If you ask someone else it gets back to the person if you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bryon. I don't ask people if they are pregnant...unless they call me on the phone saying they have news...and that has nothing to do with me seeing them. Plus, you never know if they are "telling people." You know the whole first trimester mystery for everyone else!

    Although...I do have a friend in Yuma who has been pregnant for a bit and her boobs were huge when I came back from the summer, so I said she must be pregnant...but i was very clear that it had to do with her impressively enlarged boobs rather than belly. Does that still count toward this poll?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, I have done that and it was very much embarrassing. Sorry I don't have any other good stories like the others that people posted here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never done it and when I was pregnant, no one ever asked me. Being so tall, I was able to hide it up until the last few weeks and by then I'm pretty sure it was obvious but no one asked.

    I do remember an incident at the grocery store around Christmas 2006 - we were shopping and a really nice lady in my ward came up to me and told me she had "heard some great news" and asked when I was due. When I told her 4 weeks - she nearly fell through the floor. That was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that everything you wear or own can be found on a picture online... classic! You looked very cute in this pregnancy shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee, hee! I am one of those that just leaves it until I hear the news from someone else. I did get the how far along are you after having my baby. I would say, she is about 3 weeks old now. I am glad to see on the blogernacle! Come visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy said boobs....hee "boobs"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie,
    It is so fun to read your blog, (I found it from Jodi's) and see how your pregnancy is going. I have been asked twice if I was pregnant and the 1st incident I wasn't and been trying so hard to get pregnant that I was so annoyed and the girl was so embrassed. The 2nd time I actually was pregnant and just hadn't found out yet, but I sure wasn't showing yet!! I am so excited for you, you are going to be an awesome mom!!!

    Melissa Jones (Meenderink)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well maybe you won't experience it yet, but it gets to be tons worse when they come up and tell you how HUGE you are! Seriously, never a good idea to tell someone they are huge - preggie or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Bryon on this one as well...never have asked, but typically when the timing is right you will hear about it anyway. I just like being safe rather than being sorry.

    ReplyDelete