Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My country, 'tis of Thee


What a way to spend Veterans Day! If anyone has the chance to be in Washington DC over Veterans Day I highly recommend it.

We went to Arlington Cemetery today. President Obama was scheduled to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and they had a program in the amphitheatre. It was rainy and cold (all day) but I really enjoyed myself. I can't remember ever getting emotional while saying the Pledge of Allegiance, but standing there surrounded by Veterans and Active Duty men and women, was very moving.

We walked (did I mention it was rainy and cold -and windy) to Lincoln Memorial from Arlington, stopping on the way to get a hot chocolate and be shielded from the wind, if only for a moment. We walked by the other war memorials, including the new World War II monument on our way to The Mall.

After a very nice late lunch at the Capital Grille (Thanks Dave and Lisa) we spent the rest of our day at the Museum of Natural History.
We're expecting another rainy and windy day tomorrow, but hopefully we'll be a little more prepared for it.

1 comment:

  1. Mel,
    What an awesome trip! It looks like you guys had a blast. I would love to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete