Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Practice makes pefect?

It won't be perfect, but at least I know what to expect. Hopefully.

The Little Man's first birthday is on the 22nd. Is it normal that I've been thinking about his party for the last 4 months? Normal or not, I'm making everything from (nearly) scratch and I've done a few practice runs.
Cake number one. I liked the colors, but the elephant was too small to do a very good job with the frosting.
Decided to try Marshmallow fondant. I couldn't believe how easy it was to make and work with. I think the final elephant will be made out of fondant.
Elephants on parade. I love colorfast frosting. To be honest it doesn't taste great, but I think it looks cool. I think I'll do half frosted and half like these. Mostly because my hand cramped up so bad while doing the outlining I had to literally pry my fingers out of the the 'claw' they were stuck in. Oh, how I love arthritis.

The Little Man's cake to eat himself. I might try to write something on it, or doing something else with the colors, but I think it'll work.
Let's just hope I can get everything done by the time our family shows up!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mel, those look great! I would love to learn how to make the marshmallow fondant because I am not a big fan of the taste of the other one.

    Also, what did you make the elephant out of on his personal cake? Love it!! I still have those cups for you. We might need to get together again soon :)

    ReplyDelete