Thursday, January 24, 2008

I need my security blanket

I've debated about talking about this on the blog, and 'putting it out there'... but I think it's time.

I'm thinking about (with Justin) making a change. Change is scary. Risk is scarier. I'm not sure if I've ever done something 'risky'.
I went away (an hour away, but that's still 'away') to school. Kind of scary, but not really a risk. It was for college, millions of 18 year olds do it, and I was still close enough to come home and do laundry and steal a gallon of milk on the weekends.
I went on an LDS mission. Kind of scary. I guess I was taking a risk in that I felt like that was what I was supposed to do at that point in my life, but I new I'd be safe, taken care of, and again, hundreds of thousands of other kids my age had done the same.
I moved to the 'big' city after graduating from college, without knowing I'd have a job. I suppose that was the riskiest thing I'd done. It was Salt Lake City, I knew I'd find a job, which I did. And then I found another one a week after that summer job ended.
Some might say getting married was a risk. I didn't feel that way. I knew this was the man I wanted to marry, and it was the right time. It wasn't scary.

This is scary and risky, and a little exciting.

I'm thinking about leaving my safe, secure, and 'towing the line' job with great health benefits, a pension (yeah right), and coworkers I've become so close with for something new. And not just anything new... for owning my own business.

Ahhhh... I said it. Even that was kind of tough. My husband owns 2 businesses and works for a global company (not to mention is the chairman of a nonprofit theatre) but he's like that. Not me. Until this last week.

I'm going to leave the name of the book store out of it for now, but it's a children's boutique book store that also sells a few toys. It's well established and in a good location. We've looked at the financials and Justin has met with the owner (I still wasn't sold on the idea and a little too intimidated to go to the first meeting).

I've thought about the idea of owning something a lot and there's definitely pro's and con's on both sides.

I love the ladies I work with. I like a lot of the kids I work with and the other professionals that I associate with. I like having my weekends and holidays off. I like being able to 'turn work off' at the end of the day or while on vacation. I like the flexibility that my job has. I work 40 hrs a week, but some days are longer than others and many appointments I schedule myself. Also... I'm going on 4 years of being a social worker, working for child and family services, and it's become part of my identity. It's weird to think about myself and who I feel like I am without that aspect of it.

On the other hand... sometimes I don't like my job. I don't like working with angry and demanding parents. Although I've done a good job at keeping good boundaries, things still come home with me sometimes. I've always left something undone, because I don't work at a job where things ever really finish, or are fixed. I can't do this job (or won't) when I have kids. I feel like I'm on the verge of being burnt out in this capacity. And... as far as my coworkers, in my mind I wouldn't be working at all after I start having kids and I wouldn't have that support and friendship in that way anyway.

Decisions, decisions. Can I leave this 'secure good job' and do something new with an element of risk. Am I willing to put as much into this new venture as it will need in the next little while? Is this the right time in our lives to be doing this???

If any of you have the answers to my worries... please, please enlighten me. Because (for once) I don't have the answers.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Melly... I love working with you and have to come to the realization that eventually, you're going to leave and while I have sold my soul to the State and would love you to stay, I think you should go for it! Why not? A business of your own? How great would that be! I think your future children would thank you! You've gotta be less frazzled by the stress of social work by the time you have kids right?! As long as we can still meet for lunch - I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had advice for you but I don't. I stayed at the same place because I always needed a sure thing, but that doesn't mean it was right or worth it in the end. This one will take some real prayer time and family talks. Good luck. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is always scary, but good. I am currently entertaining the idea of leaving my current job for something else, probably with much less "risk" involved, but still scary. Good luck - Haley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have advice, but I might want to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a husband who has a very good business sense and you have a love for books (& children, especially mine). Should something go wrong (& I doubt that it will) you could go back to your "secure job". Also, it would be nice to get something off the ground before the little ones arrive so you don't have to work for peanuts like I do :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do it! Now is the probably the best time to do something like this. I don't know anyone that is more loyal or dedicated at whatever they do. Thats the biggest part of success. Other than listening to X96 in a children's book store I can't think of any drawbacks to you doing it. I support you 100%.(I feel like I should end this with a " you go girlfriend" and a snap of the fingers with a head swivel.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do it! Do it! Do it! You are in the perfect position to go for what you want! When you think of it, it's a safe risk to take. You have a backup plan...you're feet are not being held to the fire where you have to do SOMETHING to uphold your family financially. It's the perfect situation to be risky in! I feel like I need to watch "You've Got Mail" again. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete