Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What is that NOISE?

Yesterday I was on my way to the gym for spinning class and it started. It started kind of quiet and it got louder, and louder, and louder and by the time I was going 15 or 20 mph the noise was so loud I couldn't even hear the radio (which is very important to me).

I love my car. I like Subaru's (which has been mentioned before) and I love my little Subaru Legacy. Yes, it's going on 16 years old, and Yes, it has over 141,000 miles on it -pretty low for that year of car, I might add, and Yes, something in the back has now popped up and I think it might be slowly falling apart... but I still love subaru's, and my subaru in general.

But... I've had too many experiences where I've run car's into the ground and ignored BIG signs that something is seriously wrong (don't ignore that TEMP light!) and I've been stranded on off-ramps, canyons, driveways, and gas stations (that was my American car, not my current Japanese product), so I try not to make things worse.

I never made it to the gym yesterday. I drove around our neighborhood hoping the sound would go away when the car warmed up, got out and kicked off the snow stuck near the tire, and then gave up and went back to bed. Justin went out and drove it for a minute and agreed that something didn't sound right. I planned on stopping by Henstrom on my way to work to see if Jeff could tell me what might be wrong with it. I drove on back roads and really slow when I could help it all the way there. When I got 4 blocks away... the sound WENT AWAY!

I HATE that! Have you ever gone to the dr for something that seemed to go away an hour before your appointment? I went to the shop anyway and tried to explain the noise (ha ha), Jeff drove it for a minute and at least ruled out a few things, but couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. I drove it back to work and the noise didn't come back all day.

Until this morning on the way to the gym again. There was NO way that I was letting my dumb car (notice how my affection decreases as the noise increases) was keeping me from the gym again. I drove it there and back, the noise never went away. I told Justin I didn't want to drive it today so we switched cars. He called his dad and Jeff while he was in the car and let them hear the noise. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it's just the speedometer cable and we'll take it in on the way to the airport today (Justin's going to Dallas today) and I'll have my nice little Subaru back, sans the noise, soon.

2 comments:

  1. "Did you bring my dvds?" asks Mel..."How's your car?" responds Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... Vegas and Wendover trips...

    ReplyDelete