Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I was outed

Well... I made it almost a year without our neighbors finding out. I make a good impression when I first meet people, and have kept it a secret for a quite a while, until today.

I walked into the polling place today and the nice little old lady noticed that I was 'unaffiliated' and said I needed to affiliate to vote*. I responded, "No I don't, I want a democrat ticket, so I don't need to declare." She smiled and said, "Oh... that's right" and handed me the voter card. There were at least 3 neighbors/ward members in the room when this happened.

While I was voting I overheard an identical conversation with the lady that was behind me in line. She said, "Oh... I didn't want to declare a party", and I turned around and said (rather loudly) "You only need to to declare if you want to vote republican, you don't need it for a democrat ticket." Her husband and she just smiled at me, as if to say... Oh, you poor misguided liberal. You are in the wrong state!

So... I voted. I love to vote. It was kind of weird this time, I actually voted for someone that I want to be president. I'm not sure I'll get that chance in the general election, so I was happy to do it in the primary's. Even though Justin's vote will cancel mine out, I still enjoyed casting my ballot and maybe 'said' person will get a few delegates from Utah.

*In Utah, the Republican party is a`private club for members' and you have to affiliate with the party to vote in the primary.

6 comments:

  1. Try having the ladies of the ward do it to you...and ask "do your parents know?" Church is going to be weird...I might get released from teaching the youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your proud to vote, and proud not to declare, why be bashful and not declare who it was you voted for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron Paul of course, didn't YOU vote for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ron Paul! He's my favorite republican right now and I'm proud to admit it! It's the media that makes him seem crazy...his ideas for the future actually make sense! If he was electable and I was affiliated with the crazy party, I might vote for him. Instead, I'm going for Obama. Hilary is too smug for me...too much of the same.

    And your husband's vote didn't count for much, to make you feel better. Obama won Utah. Sorry Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah it did my fine friend...democrats get awarded delegates based on percentage of votes, not a winner-take-all like the republicans.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand corrected...my CNN watching politifriend!

    ReplyDelete