Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Another car story

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I keep meaning to post about Friday night (better late than never I guess).

Justin needed to set up one of those canvas tents at the Draper Historical Theatre. We went to a few stores and finally bought one at Costco. Since it wouldn't really fit in our car with the trunk closed, we drove to the theatre to put it up.

Did I mention it was about 9 o'clock at this point?

We started unloading all of the parts -canvas sheets, metal poles, screws and such. And we couldn't find the instructions. Being of the male species Justin thought we could do it without instructions. (That, and the fact that there was already an identical tent set up behind the building.) I was a little less convinced at our skill level, but he started laying out poles and guessing where everything went.

Luckily, while looking more closely at the package with all of the fasteners and little parts, we found the instructions folded up. Just for the record, there was NO WAY we could have put up that tent without those.

Anyway, we started putting the poles together and were moving along with what little light we could find. It was too difficult to do some of the steps on the far end of the structure, so I went and turned on the car lights. We would stop every 5 or 10 minutes and start the car so our battery wouldn't go out. (Are you seeing where I'm going with this?) Well... we let it go a few minutes to long.

Justin tried to start the car and all we heard was that sickening sound of an engine not turning over. At this point it was almost 11 pm. So... I so patiently and lovingly suggested that Justin call AAA. We have the service for a reason... and this is the reason. He wanted to wait and see, so I again gently pointed out that once a battery has lost it... it's gone -and I don't want to finish the tent and THEN have to wait 45 minutes for a guy to come and start our car.

Justin called... we finished putting up the tent -with the car lights, because at this point, what do we have to lose, and AAA showed up right as we finished. 5 minutes later we were on our way home.

I just love cars.

1 comment:

  1. I love AAA. I don't have it, but it covers the 'driver' and not so much the car, right? I think you told me that. So if I broke down, I could call you and you could come sit in the drivers seat and call them, right? Thats comforting...but my car is still covered by VW, so I won't need you for a while.

    ReplyDelete