Friday, June 20, 2008

Not one of his best ideas

Yesterday Justin was on his way home and was going to stop and get a few things he needed for a work party and grab something for dinner from a grocery store.

Instead, he decided he wanted chinese from a buffet close to our new house. He came and got me and (for the record- I initially objected) we went to try it out.

(In Julia Robert's voice from Pretty Women) Big Mistake!

I'm not a fan of buffets. They make me feel cheap. I don't like getting my own food at a restaurant, and I especially don't like getting up for seconds. (or in this case to search for something more edible than my first choices).

The place was over-priced (as I feel all buffets are), pretty run down (I think a folding chair would have been more comfortable than the seat I was on), and as previously mentioned, the food was barely edible (I don't believe I finished a single small helping of any of the items on my plate).

A few highlights were... our fellow diners. Stellar parenting by more than one family (yelling across the restaurant to a kid that he "needs more meat"), the RACE (I'm not exaggerating) to the tray when they finally bring out more crablegs after some 10-year old had asked for some, and the ice cream.

After being there for a few minutes and realizing that we were done trying to eat anything, I suggested that maybe their desserts were okay. Justin went to check it out and quickly came back. He informed me we would not be having ice cream, and he was ready whenever I was. We left quickly without an explanation. (According to Justin the ice cream looked more like old milk, and one of the dessert selections was the small powdered donuts that you purchase at the gas station.

Needless to say, we did not have a great meal last night, and we were both a little surprised that we didn't get sick last night. Maybe it was because neither of us tried the crab legs.

6 comments:

  1. I have apologized for said idea numerous times, but I have to tell you, I sent an email to the health department because even what Melanie said do not give this place justice - it was so disgusting. I haven't been in any place this bad, even in Brasil. Not an exaggeration it was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wanted to go out tonight...I suggested that Chinese place on state by our houses...:) I laughed so hard at reading this! If you ever find a GREAT Chinese place close by - or even far away - let us know. We haven't ever found one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Roy we have great Chinese food. We ate last night at the Manderine in Bountiful it was fabulous, but never never do buffetts, except Soup or Salad in riverdale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what Aunt LeeAnn is saying, in case you missed it is: Come to Roy and eat in Bountiful. Did you get that?? Just kidding...I'm pickin' up what she's puttin' down. You need some Lucky China from Roy, and The Manderine in Bountiful is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky China in Roy is better than a buffet not only because its cheap, but they bring you more on your plate than you would ever be able to eat...not to mention you would probably never come back from the buffet with that much on your plate...how embarassing, chubby!

    ReplyDelete