Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On the 4th day of Christmas

Here's a few 'sneaking' stories that I remember.

One year I asked for a few tapes. Yes, tapes. There were two packages of 2 tapes wrapped under the tree. I wanted to know what they were, so I slowly and carefully pulled the tape off and slid the tapes out of their wrapping -being careful to not disturb the paper so I could tape them back up. It took my two or three different attempts before I was successful. The tapes I unwrapped were BLANK! I had also asked for blank tapes to record things as well. All that work for nothing!

I remember sneaking into my parents room when my mom was in the shower to look at the big black garbage bag Jodi and I were sure had presents in it. I was too nervous to look at everything, the only things we actually saw were some gloves and scarves.

And lastly, my mom is a list maker. For everything. This includes Christmas presents. (I'm the same way, but mine is an excel program on my laptop.) One year my sister took it out of her purse and told me I was getting contacts. I was so excited! I had been asking for a while, and my parents had decided to give them to me as a Christmas gift, so they had been telling me for weeks that I was too young for contacts.

That was the last year that I ever tried to sneak and find my gifts. As excited as I was to get contacts, I knew everything I got for Christmas that year (because Jodi had told me everything else on the list too). It was such a let down- to not have any surprises. I think the thrill of searching for gifts is definitely in the searching... not the finding!

1 comment:

  1. Mel, I have LOVED all of your stories! They conjure up some good memories for me too. I had to laugh at the tapes though.. oh tapes. I remember the Christmas I got my Saturday's Warrior soundtrack, on tape. :)

    ReplyDelete