Friday, December 18, 2009

On the 7th Day of Chistmas (and the 6th)

I guess I need to step it up a notch if I'm going to get 12 days of Christmas in before Christmas this year.

Okay, this one is not for the young at heart -there may be a few spoiler alerts.

There are a few advantages to being the oldest. I think in some ways you get to be a 'kid' longer. Although in other ways, I think you grow up a lot faster. But, in this instance, when you're the oldest you don't have older siblings to tell you Santa may not be 'real'. I didn't have older siblings to spoil the game, but none of my friends were the oldest -so I believe this is where the seed of doubt came in.

I remember one year (I think I was only 6 or 7) when I was reading Santa's letter to the kids. I noticed that Santa had handwriting JUST LIKE MY MOM'S! I don't think I shared this information with anyone -even my sister at this point.

It was probably the next year, after mulling over this fact for 12 months that we (Jodi and I) had decided that the Santa possibility was probably not possible. That year both Jodi and I had asked for dolls. Not just any dolls, but these anatomically correct dolls that were pretty popular at the time. We just happened to be home when the box's arrived in the mail. Ya, we peaked -and were SO excited! I was talking to my mom and she had no idea that Jodi and I were no longer 'believers' at this point. We were both afraid that if we admitted to not believing, we wouldn't get as many gifts. Nice little kids, huh?


Christmas Eve the kids went to bed. Either I got up because I heard something, or maybe I was trying to prove one way or the other that Santa didn't exist, but I walked into the living room and my dad was playing my keyboard I asked for. I think they attempted some excuse about Santa dropping this off early for the night, but I was convinced.

Not only was Santa not real, I was indeed getting the keyboard I had asked for!

No comments:

Post a Comment