Thursday, November 11, 2010

The last one

It occurred to me today, after seeing countless tributes to our veterans on social media sites and blogs, that next year this holiday will most likely feel very different for me. And, a year or two after that, even more so.

We haven't talked much about this, in fact, unless you actually know Justin or I, you wouldn't know that Justin will soon be enlisting. I don't know if that's the right term though, he'll be accepting an officer's commission for the Navy Reserve. If that even makes sense.

Last year for Veterans Day we were in Washington DC, listening to the President speak, in the pouring rain. Pretty cool place to be for Veterans Day, if you ask me (other than the rain). I've always felt like I showed respect and admiration for our veterans and appreciated their service.

I suppose I will gain more of an appreciation in the years to come as I support one a little closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment